• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My list of fears! Finally scheduled appointment with oral surgeon

  • Thread starter Thread starter scaredycat20
  • Start date Start date
S

scaredycat20

Junior member
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
8
I am 33 years old and finally scheduled an appointment with an oral surgeon after my dentist telling me to for 15 years. I have a horrible fear of everything dentistry related, but the thought of having oral surgery completely sends me into panic mode. Three of my wisdom teeth are completely erupted (one is badly decayed) and one is horizontally impacted. My dentist has assured me that none of them will be difficult extractions. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that there are other people with the same fears that I have which include:

1. Death (both during and after the procedure)
2. choking on gauze
3. choking on blood
4. vomiting after the procedure (I have a terrible time with ALL pain meds. I have had 2 babies with no meds.)
5. dry socket
6. post-op infection

My surgery appointment is on the 15th, so I'm hoping I don't freak out and cancel the appointment.
 
Try not to forget you have things on your side. I can't address every fear, but I have a few thoughts for you ...

I would guess the oral surgeon will be using some kind of anesthetic - do you know, is it just injections or something stronger like intravenous sedation? There are plus sides to both.

If it is to be just injections, that's a sign that the dentist really does anticipate no problems. Where I live, at least, oral surgeons don't try to get away with minimal anesthetic use.

If it's intravenous sedation, you'll blink, and it will be over. During the procedure, assistants will constantly be monitoring your vital signs and be suctioning any dispensed blood. You won't be gagging on blood under those circumstances, and they'll make sure you do not go too deeply unconscious.

If the dentist has said not to eat for several hours before the procedure, then don't eat ... undigested food poses the greatest choking hazard during the procedure. Liquids (including blood) are not what will block an airway - they can't stay in place there. Only solids can. If you have an empty stomach when you need to, there will be nothing to choke on.

Any gauze will be placed directly over the empty sockets, likely in a roll. At most, it will touch the side of your tongue - and when you're not numb, you'll barely feel it. You'll be compressing it in place when your mouth is closed. This all means your tongue won't be able to manipulate it. And that would have to happen to shift it into a position where it could choke you.

I know it won't be comforting to tell you are going to die after the procedure, but that is true for everyone who has a dental procedure. It takes years, if not decades, for that to happen. Remember, this surgery is not going to affect any arteries or veins that would put your life in danger if they started to leak.

About anesthetic - there are so many mixtures and concoctions that you won't react the same to every one. People who wake up from dental anesthetic are often very entertaining before they're fully conscious - unlike people who wake up in the hospital after surgery, because the chemistry is different.

About pain meds - because you'll remain numb for a while because of injected anesthetic (they'll give you some even if you have intravenous sedation), you won't need pain meds until it wears off - and maybe not even then. Some people hardly have any pain after the procedure is over.

Hope some or all of this helps.
 
I should have added - because the chemistry is different, try not to assume all mixes are going to make you vomit. Reactions to different anesthetics are very different.

And the dose will be different, too - you won't need strong stuff like what is administered for childbirth or general surgery. Sometimes it's quantity that triggers adverse side effects.

There are a lot of other possible ways this can play out - and most add up to something less severe than the worst case you are anticipating.
 
1. Death (both during and after the procedure)
A doctor would not want to risk going through a medical procedure if there is a risk of death due to some kind of physical ailment. I totally get the fear of dieing though - I had no clue how I would get through the dentist telling me everything that was wrong with my mouth, but if you can, bring a loved one to help you through it. My husband came with me for my first check up and evaluation and the dentist had no issues with him being there with me. Be honest with the dentist about your fears, so that they are aware of what you can and cannot mentally, emotionally, and physically handle and understand that 99% of dentists want you to be happy and safe. I try to be the best patient ever and will work through my anxiety as best as I can, but my dentists realize that I need a gentle touch, time outs sometimes, etc to help me.

2. choking on gauze
Do you happen to know where in your mouth you're sensitive to choking? Mine is in the back of my mouth and it's pretty bad on the right side. I've shared that with my dentist - "hey head's up, I have a choking sensitivity on the right side of my mouth." So they try to take it easy on that side and if something has to go in, it's in and out quickly.

3. choking on blood
Same as above - say something if you have a sensitivity. At least with a liquid, they have tools to get that sucked up right away. When I've had treatments that leads to bleeding, the assistant dentist has always been really great at getting that out of my mouth as soon as possible.

4. vomiting after the procedure (I have a terrible time with ALL pain meds. I have had 2 babies with no meds.)
If you know that medications cause stomach issues, take a small amount of the meds and work up until you find what you can handle. Otherwise, discuss how else you can deal with the pain - ice packs, eating cold food, etc.

5. dry socket
6. post-op infection
Know what to look for and if something is going on, call your dentist about it. As long as you are keeping your mouth clean based on what the dentist has told you, you cannot avoid whether or not you get an infection. It sucks, but that's how it works. A lot of the time people are totally fine, but sometimes infections do happen. If it happens, get help right away.

I have gum disease - I know how I'm supposed to treat it at home and I go to my 3 month cleanings to have my dentist take care of my teeth. I know though that my mouth can get worse, but I'm not going to stress myself out about it and beat myself up over something I honestly DO NOT have control over. If it happens, I will seek out my dentist's advice and keep working on doing what I can.


I have had some difficult treatments - like gum flap surgery - and while not pleasant, I don't have any fears about the treatment. I did it, "survived", and I can move along. If I need to do it again, at least I know what to expect now.
 
Today is the 19th... How did your surgery go?
 
Well, after putting it off for 15 years, I can honestly say it was so much easier than I expected! I had a major panic attack before my IV was started. When I woke up, I was absolutely relieved that it was over. According to the oral surgeon, everything went great. He opted to leave my lower left fully impacted wisdom tooth due to the close proximity to the nerve. I have not even had to take ibuprofen. I am, however, experiencing sinus pressure under my left eye and being the worrier than I am, I have convinced myself there is a hole in my sinus and I am going to ending up with a raging incurable infection. Would sinus pressure be a common side effect of having upper wisdom teeth pulled?
 
Back
Top