M
mark691
Junior member
- Joined
- Jan 20, 2009
- Messages
- 12
- Location
- UK
Hi..
I'm an old member but haven't been visiting for years now.. I am a massive phobic teamed up with embarrassement for poor dental health so I kept putting off the dentist for years. About 4 years ago, thanks to the DFC forum support, I faced my fears and went to the dentist who was an absolute nightmare and had to be referred elsewhere to sort out the work he did.. This gave me a kick to carry on now that I had started, and found myself the most perfect dentist. Everyone at the surgery were a dream, from the receptionists, to the nurses and most importantly, all of the dentists!! They treated me with such care and were sympatethic how scared I was. They did all the work under sedation (which is the best thing ever, by the way!!!!) and received part dentures. However, it didn't cure my fear, and I didn't go for 3 years ago..
One of my teeth is broken because of the denture is rubbing against it and broke it, but I put it off to get it sorted and now it has gone to near enough to the root.. Then I lost a filling, which is painful when I eat, but that didn't get me moving, figured I will get used it!! But then at the end of October, I lost another filling, this time on my front tooth, so I knew I had to go, because I can't smile or talk to people properly now
Plus I was scared that if I leave it, it will break and crumble away, which I can't have!! So I contacted the dreamy dentist, only to be told that they can't treat me under NHS
And I can't afford to pay for the treatment.. So I decided I need to go to the Dental Access Centre, because they should sort it straight away.. I can't believe how calm I was when I walked into the DAC asking to get a filling sorted (I had decided that I will get the front one fixed but any other work will have to wait), but they didn't see me straight away, gave me an appointment 3 weeks away. The time went, and I took myself to the appointment, I had mentally and physically prepared myself to get my tooth fixed, envisaged going through to numbing needle and the sounds and the poking and gagging, and I was READY!!! I was incredibly proud of myself (and only phobics can understand what a massive step forward that was!!). I had booked an appointment and gone all by myself, something that I wouldn't have done 4 years ago! Back then, I couldn't even mention the word "dentist" without bursting into tears! So the day comes, and I get called in to the dentist's room, and she starts poking around my mouth and then tells me, it's a check up! When I had specifically asked to get the front tooth sorted! And to top it off, she was incredibly rude and made me feel really bad about not looking after my teeth properly. But she did notice how scared I was so told me that she will refer me to another dentist who deals with the phobics and does all the work under sedation. Ok, I felt very downhearted and upset when I left, but also relieved that I will get everything sorted, instead of just the front one.. I felt bad because I had to wait longer to get the front one done, but thought I only had to wait for 2 weeks now, to get it done. This is when the next appointment was. Ok, so that is the background story, now to the problem!
I had the appointment today! I was getting really nervous a few days before, nothing like my phobic nerves were, but still very nervous, considered cancelling but forced myself there. I thought I had gone from the absolute phobic to a nervous patient.. So I get to the surgery and start waiting for my appointment, just about breathing, and I realise, I haven't been transfered to a different dentist, I'm seeing the same horrible woman again!!!!!!! Now this is when the panic set in!! I thought I can't go through the pain and the poking with her when she doesn't understand nor care how hard it was for me to make an appointment in the first place! I sat there sweating, swallowing tears and concentrating on my breathing. The closer my turn came, worse I got! I couldn't stop the tears and a few stubborn ones managed to escape. I was scared she will rip all my teeth out and make me leave toothless!!! I decided to stay but decided to tell her that I will ONLY have the front one fixed, nothing else!! I couldn't have gone through it all. But I went in, and she gave me ANOTHER CHECK UP!!! and another referral to the other dentist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in absolute bits!!!!!!! It turns out, someone had cocked up and booked me into see her again, when I was supposed to be seeing the other one this time. This time I couldn't stop the tears and I ran out crying. I had to walk through a city centre crying, and drove myself home, barely seeing anything because I couldn't stop crying! They told me they will contact me with a new appointment.
I feel like I'm going back to my old self again, being so scared to go that I just won't! I can't believe how insensitive the dentists still are, not understanding what a giant leap I took by booking an appointment and going through to them 3 times FOR NOTHING!!! I can't go back anymore if they won't sort it then, so I decided on the way home, that I will find another dentist, who knows how to treat phobics under the NHS and do it quickly and smoothly, instead of making a phobic go to and fro, as if I enjoy waiting for torture. But now that I'm thinking clearly again, what do people think? Should I wait for the referral, or just go and find someone else? The thing is that I first wanted the front tooth sorting out for my birthday which was on the 17th of Nov, that didn't go to plan. Then my next relief was that it will be sorted for Christmas at least!! Now it looks like that isn't going to happen by then either!!! All I wanted was the get the one tiny hole fixed as soon as possible, and now I'm back in the dentist hell!!!!


I'm an old member but haven't been visiting for years now.. I am a massive phobic teamed up with embarrassement for poor dental health so I kept putting off the dentist for years. About 4 years ago, thanks to the DFC forum support, I faced my fears and went to the dentist who was an absolute nightmare and had to be referred elsewhere to sort out the work he did.. This gave me a kick to carry on now that I had started, and found myself the most perfect dentist. Everyone at the surgery were a dream, from the receptionists, to the nurses and most importantly, all of the dentists!! They treated me with such care and were sympatethic how scared I was. They did all the work under sedation (which is the best thing ever, by the way!!!!) and received part dentures. However, it didn't cure my fear, and I didn't go for 3 years ago..
One of my teeth is broken because of the denture is rubbing against it and broke it, but I put it off to get it sorted and now it has gone to near enough to the root.. Then I lost a filling, which is painful when I eat, but that didn't get me moving, figured I will get used it!! But then at the end of October, I lost another filling, this time on my front tooth, so I knew I had to go, because I can't smile or talk to people properly now
Plus I was scared that if I leave it, it will break and crumble away, which I can't have!! So I contacted the dreamy dentist, only to be told that they can't treat me under NHS
And I can't afford to pay for the treatment.. So I decided I need to go to the Dental Access Centre, because they should sort it straight away.. I can't believe how calm I was when I walked into the DAC asking to get a filling sorted (I had decided that I will get the front one fixed but any other work will have to wait), but they didn't see me straight away, gave me an appointment 3 weeks away. The time went, and I took myself to the appointment, I had mentally and physically prepared myself to get my tooth fixed, envisaged going through to numbing needle and the sounds and the poking and gagging, and I was READY!!! I was incredibly proud of myself (and only phobics can understand what a massive step forward that was!!). I had booked an appointment and gone all by myself, something that I wouldn't have done 4 years ago! Back then, I couldn't even mention the word "dentist" without bursting into tears! So the day comes, and I get called in to the dentist's room, and she starts poking around my mouth and then tells me, it's a check up! When I had specifically asked to get the front tooth sorted! And to top it off, she was incredibly rude and made me feel really bad about not looking after my teeth properly. But she did notice how scared I was so told me that she will refer me to another dentist who deals with the phobics and does all the work under sedation. Ok, I felt very downhearted and upset when I left, but also relieved that I will get everything sorted, instead of just the front one.. I felt bad because I had to wait longer to get the front one done, but thought I only had to wait for 2 weeks now, to get it done. This is when the next appointment was. Ok, so that is the background story, now to the problem!I had the appointment today! I was getting really nervous a few days before, nothing like my phobic nerves were, but still very nervous, considered cancelling but forced myself there. I thought I had gone from the absolute phobic to a nervous patient.. So I get to the surgery and start waiting for my appointment, just about breathing, and I realise, I haven't been transfered to a different dentist, I'm seeing the same horrible woman again!!!!!!! Now this is when the panic set in!! I thought I can't go through the pain and the poking with her when she doesn't understand nor care how hard it was for me to make an appointment in the first place! I sat there sweating, swallowing tears and concentrating on my breathing. The closer my turn came, worse I got! I couldn't stop the tears and a few stubborn ones managed to escape. I was scared she will rip all my teeth out and make me leave toothless!!! I decided to stay but decided to tell her that I will ONLY have the front one fixed, nothing else!! I couldn't have gone through it all. But I went in, and she gave me ANOTHER CHECK UP!!! and another referral to the other dentist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in absolute bits!!!!!!! It turns out, someone had cocked up and booked me into see her again, when I was supposed to be seeing the other one this time. This time I couldn't stop the tears and I ran out crying. I had to walk through a city centre crying, and drove myself home, barely seeing anything because I couldn't stop crying! They told me they will contact me with a new appointment.
I feel like I'm going back to my old self again, being so scared to go that I just won't! I can't believe how insensitive the dentists still are, not understanding what a giant leap I took by booking an appointment and going through to them 3 times FOR NOTHING!!! I can't go back anymore if they won't sort it then, so I decided on the way home, that I will find another dentist, who knows how to treat phobics under the NHS and do it quickly and smoothly, instead of making a phobic go to and fro, as if I enjoy waiting for torture. But now that I'm thinking clearly again, what do people think? Should I wait for the referral, or just go and find someone else? The thing is that I first wanted the front tooth sorting out for my birthday which was on the 17th of Nov, that didn't go to plan. Then my next relief was that it will be sorted for Christmas at least!! Now it looks like that isn't going to happen by then either!!! All I wanted was the get the one tiny hole fixed as soon as possible, and now I'm back in the dentist hell!!!!





![Hiding behind the sofa [smiley=hiding.gif] [smiley=hiding.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/hiding.gif)

