• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

need to see a dentist but i am so scared :(

L

leahay

hi people im new to this but i thought id join because i feel i need some support and help.
i am 27 :( i have needed work doing on my teeth for a while now, a good few years infact. i have been putting it off all the time because i just darent go but my teeth are now in so much need of getting sorted that i havent got any other option but to pluck up the corage and go :cry: i am literally thinkin about it all the time petrified i no i need to go but cant seem to pull myself to even phone up. there are quite a few of my teeth that could do with work to them but the main ones im wanting done are my bottom 2 maybe 4 front teeth, i think there is no other option than to have them out which once done i could get use to living with dentures but my biggest fear is if i have them out will they put me false in straight away because i dont think i could bare to work around with no front teeth o_O im really scared but i no that they need coming out but its a load of fear, fear of having to walk round with no teeth and just pure embarresment that someone is going to see my teeth how bad they look. :cry::cry:

hi there and welcome. well first thing first. you should call the dentist and get appointment first. you'll be surprise how easy it is just to talk to a dentist. it might not be bad as you think. and if you do need a denture, yes there is temporary denture put in until you get your permanent ones. there is lots of options and you'll be thinking that why didn't I talk to dentist earlier. so get your courage up and just talk to them first. and then worry about next. im sure you'll be in better condition then you think. now go ahead and make an appointment, before it gets worse! just a talk with doctor nothing to worry about yet. let them see your teeth and tell you what you need to do.

The worst part of all of this is going to your first appointment and creating a treatment plan with your dentist on what needs to be done. Can you bring a loved one with you for support? My hubby went with me and he proudly told everyone there "My wife is scared of the dentist so I'm here to support her." LOL I wanted to smack him but when it came to talking about my mouth with my dentist, it was nice to have hubby right there- holding my hand and wiping my tears away. Since then, he either hangs out in the waiting room or is at home waiting for me to return - no more tears or major fears.

The other thing I want to tell you is to decide what is best for your teeth and mouth. I could probably skip a few root canals and just have the teeth taken out (would be way cheaper), but for me personally, I want to keep my teeth for as long as possible. I don't think I would have the patience to deal with dentures or partials even- it would also make me really panicky (I honestly get freaked out flossing my mouth). So instead hubby and I found a way to finance what I need to do and to do the work over 2-3 years. If you are not okay with dentures, then find a way to afford to get the treatments that you need to have the teeth that you want.

Hi leahay.

I suggest you let someone else handle appointments and everything while you just go. That helps me
put my mind at ease. Right now your priority should be getting information on what
needs to be done. Just go because more you wait worse it will get and later on you will have to deal
with even bigger embarrassment and it will cost you a lot more. Just like you I was afraid and that costed
me 15 teeth at this moment maybe more. Embarrassment should be pretty low on your list of concerns.
Even if you do have to walk around without those 2-4 in front so what its not going to stay like that for long
but that is worst case scenario what about best case ? My point is get information then consider your options.

Back