• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Needle phobic 27 year old

D

DaveyMackem

Well where to start used to go to the dentist when I was a kid and had needles and remember being horrified by the pain etc and last year I went for the first time since I was 12 and was told I needed one tooth out and 4 fillings and I freaked and asked to be refered for iv sedation which I did and once I got the needle in the arm which I don't mind anywhere but my mouth I don't remember anything about it so win win

Then I set up going for a check up every 6 month and despite my fear everytime I've been since I have been told everything is fine but I went today for my regular one and was told I needed one filling which I snapped straight to do I need a needle and was told yes and ohh god I freaked out again but thought i can't get refered for just one filling so I decided to go through with it.

I felt like I was having a panic attack whilst he set up, I told him I hadn't had one since I was a kid and they hurt etc but he just started talking football and how it's Friday and what I'm doing later and I asked for numbing gel as I was scared, he said he didn't have any but he promised I'll be fine so I lay back and closed my eyes bricking it at this stage then it went quiet and honestly it felt as if he was using his little finger to poke at my gum. I was thinking it was like trying to find a vein thing and the next thing I knew he said "right that Is that done" and I sat up and said you have done it and he said yeah

I started to laugh and cover my face I honestly bigged it up to hurt and sting etc and I have a pittyful pain threshold and I swear to anyone reading its honestly nothing to even bother about I'd say a 0.5 out 10 on the pain rating I think my dental fear has gone now that's happend.

Back