• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

new here dreaded dentist vist tomorrow!

S

sanbo

Former Member
I am 35 and feel such a fool at times for being so worried about going to the dentist ive been like this because I had some bad things happen I had gas and was told I would be having 6 teeth out and they took out 12 I was really sick after and while under saw my own funeral , I didn't go back for years after .
My mom and my dad both had gum problems and both had false teeth at the age of 15 I also have had gum problems and get so fed up with dentists thinking its cause I don't do a good job on my teeth trust me when I say I clean better than anyone I no .
when I did go back I had to have a root canal and he snapped the instrument off in my tooth and told me id have to have surgery to have it removed, after the next break ive just had to have a deep clean with the dentist im with now that let me taking painkillers for a week because dispite knowing im nervous they didn't even numb me then when I told them how much pain they had put me in they couldn't understand why it would have hurt!
Ive had a 2 year break again and I have made an apt for tomorrow boy did that take some doing cause ive had an infection in my tooth/gum/bone don't no which for a few years now I normally drain this myself and am just dreading the fact that I have to go cause I no there gonna say root canal then I spend all my days in a daze thinking about going I don't even like having my teeth cleaned :redface:

Aww.. I'm sorry you've had such horrible dental experiences. I know what you mean, though. I've had exactly one surgery in my life and it went horribly wrong so now I'm terrified of anything medical. Its really going to be okay though. Just take it an appointment at a time. This first appointment they will probably just diagnose the problem and prescribe you antibiotics. While there get a feel for the dentist and staff. Tell him your fears.. Tell him why you have your fears. If you feel unheard or like he's unconcerned then don't let him do the work. Find a different dentist. It seems to me you've never found the right dentist for you. When you find the right dentist everything else tends to fall into place. I wish you lots of luck!

thanks or your reply I will let you no how things go with tomorrow :(

hi there did say that I would update you on how it went and I was so relieved when I left and it was over that I didn't and now its the day before I have to go again im thinking about it all the time again they left me waiting in reception for what seems a life time and it was a different person to who id seen before and I told them I felt like I was having a heart attack and they just said you will be fine they had no interest in the fact that I was finding hard , I thought I would have to have a tooth out and a clean he said none of those things and told me that tomoz im gonna have to have 2 fillings ive had in for yrs out and reput back in and that worries me because I hope that messing with something that doesn't have anything wrong with it in the first place doesn't cause problems after I asked if I would have to have an injection to numb he says may be maybe not so I don't even have that for sure ive had no help off them so ive now turned to taking passion flower and valerian pills to calm myself and be able to go and I have no idea how these will affect me but I think its sad that I have to experiment with things myself just cause they offered no help at all its rally hard to even get myself to go to a dentist let alone find another to have to build trust in .

I am sorry to hear you weren't treated nicely :( That is just awful. I had one dentist who was so rude to me and I never visited that office again. I hope your next treatment goes very smoothly and helps you to feel more comfortable in the future.
I just spent several weeks looking up reviews of dentists in my area (Pennsylvania) until I found someone who has been said to be caring and gentle. I hope you find a dentist to treat you well and to understand your anxiety with dental procedures. It will make such a difference!
Good luck to you and I am sure you will feel better soon!!

hi guys back with my update again 2 days before I go in again I took my passion flower and valerian and found that it took a little bit of the jitters away , I asked if I could have my tooth removed rather than a root canal and he spent the rest of the visit asking if I would let him do the root canal so I put my trust in and said yes and im sorry to say I have been let down again! I was called in and given a shot of the numbing and he didn't wait to see if it worked didn't ask just picked up the drill and started at 9.30 in the morning they were all talking about how many people they had waiting and the fact that they were going to get there lunch late , so I could feel everything and was in there 10 mins for the first part of a root canal???? the infection has come back since then aswell and now im back in for the second part in 2 days

Back