• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here, extremely scared.

D

Downinthedumps

Hello all, I am new here and hoping that I can find some encouragement and help.

I have not been to the dentist in 16 years...I am 28 years old now and my last experience with a dentist was when I was 12. It was a very traumatic experience. Lots of pain and lots of trust lost. Since then I have avoided the dentist at all costs...and I’m ashamed.

Needless to say 16 years can take its toll on teeth as well as a poor diet. I have a molar in terrible condition, it’s rotting and painful to hot, cold, touch and movement. Last night I discovered what I think is an abscess the fear inside me right now is unimaginable.

I googled and found a dentist I have a good feeling about. My brain and heart are wrestling with each other. My brain says to call the dentist and get an appointment setup as the infection will only get worse. My heart says to run and hide, I can deal with the pain one way or another.

I feel like I’m rambling, I would like to thank you for even reading this. What would you do? What should I do? Christmas and New Years is coming and I would hate to ruin a happy time of year with a toothache or worse.

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Go for it.

Anxiety has been pushing you around long enough.

It is time for you to mess with the anxiety a little.

Just call. That’s it.

I am waiting with great anticipation to hear how you do.

You got this.

Hi Downinthedumps :welcome:,

you might not be aware of this, but you already did a great job so far and quite a few steps on your journey: you know what caused your fear, you know what it is that makes making that call so hard, you had found a dentist you feel you might trust and you decided to go. And it sounds like you already gave yourself a time limit to get this sorted! It seems to me that it's not about what you should do but more about how to deal with the anxiety and get the courage to make that call.

I understand how hard it is to move from thinking about seeing a dentist to actually making that call. Many of us here will agree that this step, along with the very first visit is one of the most difficult things on a journey to beat dental fear. I believe it is so hard because we all feel uncomfortable about things that are not familiar to us and if you haven't seen a dentist for quite a long time, then everything about this is new and unfamiliar. Important thing is to acknowledge, that it's ok to feel that way and just a roadblock to get past.

If your practice can get reached by email, you might consider trying it that way, if you find it easier. If you would like to call them, you might find it helpful to prepare yourself by calling them in times there are closed, such as late in the evening or at weekend. Just pressing that call button without the chance for someone to pick up might be stressful enough. I called several practices like that in the past (mostly not even being able to let it ring, then throwing my cell phone in bed, burying it under sheets, running out of the room, hyperventilating and not being able to pick it up again for some time :oops:). These are ways that might help you to overcome the first barrier.

What you should do once you are in touch with them is to let them know about your worries and that you are nervous. In this way they can make sure to take care of you well.

All the best wishes, let us know your thoughts and as Dg6300 said, you got this!

Down in the dumps,

I can only second other other posts as well , but you are doing the right thing even searching this out, coming on here, googling and looking for a dentist you feel good about trying! This is a great start.

"I googled and found a dentist I have a good feeling about. My brain and heart are wrestling with each other. My brain says to call the dentist and get an appointment setup as the infection will only get worse. My heart says to run and hide, I can deal with the pain one way or another. '

I also a few times fb'ed practices and advised I was an anxious pt looking for care and see how they worked with anxious patients. I got some very compassionate responses and a few of them that even met me at no cost just to come in and meet them and their staff to see if I felt comfortable from there. And I can tell you of those that offered that, it was a very good sign they were indeed very lovely people who seem to care very much!

It sounds you might be in a bit of pain and wanting to know what is going on so not sure if just an introductory appt might be right. but.. even if you did just contact the clinic you feel comfortable with , if you met them and determined you may need more urgent care maybe you would feel comfortable to let them take a look or do the treatment.

I met my dentist in an emergency situation where a crown fell off and because I already had one bad side of my mouth I couldn't eat as well now this other side was bad, I had to find someone quick and Thankfully I got him and he turned out to be the best ever!

But hoping you can contact them somehow and get in and see that there are some amazing dentists who will care for you very well and show you compassion and help get your teeth in a place you don't have to worry so much and don't hurt.

All the best.

Hi,

As you wrote it yourself, it all comes down to trust. It takes time for a dentist to gain your trust.
Please keep us updated on how it is going.
All the best.

Very similar situation for me. It took me years to even Google any. When I finally did find one in my city, I kept looking at their website but doing nothing. I wrote a short email, partly based on a template I found on here, and pressed the send button days later. I could never have made a phone call. It was such a relief to have done it and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make an appointment.
You can do it too! What's the worst that can happen?

Back