• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Newbie...having 3 teeth out under sedation!

H

Hollysmam

Hi.
I've been lurching here for a little while and it's you guys who actually inspired me to go to the dentist after about 8 years of not going!

My teeth are a mess and have a lot of plaque build up and I have 3 which need to come out now...i finally plucked up the courage to go last month and cried in the dentist room.

She suggested having them taken out under sedation, I've been back again this morning to go through the procedure and I'm booked in on 30th April to have them taken out.

I'm now worried about the actual sedation working ok, do you actually go to sleep or are you awake? Also the part that worries me is when they pack the gaps with gauze etc after extraction..i hate that as it makes me gag...is there way they don't have to do this at all?

Thanks x

I am following your post with interest. I am bricking it as I am going to see the dentist on Monday afternoon. I have a broken tooth which is giving me agony and a couple more teeth that have lost fillings. Do you have sedation at the dentist's surgery or do you have the treatment in a hospital?

I have very resistant gums and needed 5 injections to numb the tooth last time, just for a filling. I have worked myself up into a panic and feel my stomach drop every time I think of monday. Lots of luck to you and I hope you get on well. I'm sure you will. x

Hi and welcome Hollysmam, lovely to hear that the forum inspired you to see a dentist and a huge pat on the back for having made it! :)

You are not asleep during iv sedation, you are conscious. The dentist can talk to you and you can respond and follow commands, you just feel very very relaxed. After the procedure it will feel like you were asleep because the medication causes memory loss. So they basically start the sedation and in the next moment it will be over. Here is a great article about sedation from the 'what might help' section:

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/sedation-dentistry/iv-sedation/

There are also a lot of success stories about sedation if you like to look around a bit.

About the gauze.. well, I do not have any idea if they have to do it, but it might be a good idea to discuss this with your dentist. If she has to use gauze, she might at least suggest you a way that prevents you from gagging. I could also imagine that due to being relaxed during and after the procedure, gagging will be less likely.

All the best wishes and keeping my fingers crossed for you on 30th. Keep us updated:)

Hi Hollysmam,

I had a molar pulled last Wednesday under sedation - my first dental treatment for thirty five years. I must say, it worked very well for me - I have no real memory either of the extraction (or the filling on a pre molar, done in the same session) or, indeed, the journey back home.

Additionally, I need another three (rather large!) fillings, too - this will also be done under IV sedation. As everything went smoothly last time, I feel far more at ease and less pensive than prior to the first session, so sedation gets a big 'thumbs up' from me!

Regarding the gauze, well, I didn't require any - but I only had one tooth pulled and very little in the way of bleeding post extraction. I'm sure the dentist will be able to allay your fears if you leave with gauze or packing in place, but remember - you'll be fully awake & aware when you leave (even if you don't recall things later!) & also, sedation requires that you be accompanied, so the chances of mishaps is minimal to non - existent.

You'll be just fine! :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone...i think I'm feeling ok about going now...hopefully I'll just go asleep lol.

One thing is though it says on the information the dentist gave me to have a light meal approx 1.5 hours before the procedure. I've ready a lot of things saying that you can't eat anything for upto 6 hours before?

Which is it?

Thanks

Thanks everyone...i think I'm feeling ok about going now...hopefully I'll just go asleep lol.

One thing is though it says on the information the dentist gave me to have a light meal approx 1.5 hours before the procedure. I've ready a lot of things saying that you can't eat anything for upto 6 hours before?

Which is it?

Thanks

You cannot eat if you are having anesthesia (Propofol, etc.). Light sedation is usually just a benzodiazepine and pain medication, both of which food doesn’t bother. Definitely follow your doctor’s instructions. If they say to eat, best to eat! Good luck!!!!!

Woohoo I did it! Had appointment at 10am this morning, I won't lie I got a bit panicky before going but once there he put the monitor on my go get and needle in my arm and that the last thing I remember until I woke up at home! I honestly can not remember my sister I law bringing me home or even waking back up from it all in the dentist chair. So weird but so pleased I've done it and it's now over with! Scale and polish done too and for the first time in years I can see my teeth properly! ?

Thank you to everyone for all your encouragement etc x

I've been and the teeth are out!

I can't remember a thing from having the needle in my arm then waking up at home in my chair! It's so weird not being able to remember anything at all about coming back round and getting home but it was fab! Dosed up on pain killers now and ready for my bed.

Thank you so much to everyone on here and I'm so pleased I've been and it's done now!

:jump::jump::jump::jump: That is so awesome to hear! and always a relief to be done with surgery! So glad it went well for you!

Heyyyy, congrats and well done, lovely to hear this and glad that you are happy with your teeth now! :jump: Also thank you for coming back and sharing your success, there are never enough success stories.

Are you having any further appointments?

Just reading through and realised I posted twice yesterday lol...i don't think I knew I'd already posted about it!

I'm in pain now though, can't really eat much but the side where he took 2 out togetjer is really hurting I could cry ?

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Don‘t the painkillers work? If the pain is that bad, it might be a good idea to call your practice, they should be able to take care of it and also check if everything is fine with the healing..

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Don‘t the painkillers work? If the pain is that bad, it might be a good idea to call your practice, they should be able to take care of it and also check if everything is fine with the healing..

It's actually still so sore, the side where 1 was extracted is fine but the side with 2 is so painful I'm still taking pain killers! I'm worried its infected already ? the roof of my mouth is all scraped /sore too so I'm thinking he may have had a bit bother getting them out so not surprised they are sore still x

Hope the painkillers work.. Worrying sucks, if I were you, I would let it get checked. Just to be sure.. and maybe you can get something that helps better with the pain..