• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

NHS dentures

A

alihm93

Hello all.
I had apply for denture treatment with NHS and am so confuse. When I had my first appointment with dentist she said that all of my teeth will have to remove ( she didn't done any xray pic) and she said that I will have to wait for letter with appointment for hospital. Today I had my appointment at westmiddlesex hospital and they asked me does my dentist prepared for me any treatment after operation(?). However they said that they will remove my teeth but they won't give me any dentures and that right am confuse. On NHS website they said that they will give dentures straight after they remove last teeth. Does anybody had done denture and would like to explain to me step by step how its look like it? I start thinking to cancel my appointment because I don't want to stay without ant teeth.

Thanks for any advice.

Your dentist should take impressions and prepare immediate dentures for you, which are a temporary pair you use for the months while your gums are healing and changing shape. It's strange that your dentist didn't offer, and strange that they didn't take any x-rays either. I would look for a second opinion if I were you, just to be safe. Not everyone gets immediate dentures, but you should definitely have the option.

I agree with Sevena, go and see another dentist. You should have had x rays taken before they can tell you that all your teeth need to come out.

You don't have to be without teeth at all and don't let anyone tell you that you do, even on the nhs you can have an immediate denture which is a denture that is placed straight away after they remove your teeth. You can have an immediate denture to replace anything from one tooth to all your teeth.

Your own dentist takes impressions and makes the denture which you take to the hospital and they will then place it in your mouth before you leave. The hospital won't make you a set of dentures. It is your dentists job to do that.

Let us know how you get on please and if we can be of any further help just ask :grouphug::butterfly:

Hello.
Thank you very much for response. Today I will see my dentist and will ask her about more details. Just for little update because am sure its made you confuse. I had a xray picture done but at hospital. However I was expect that a lot of my teeth will be remove. Also have one more question. Can I take a xray picture with me? Or have to pay extra for take it. Thanks again for all response and cheer up. I will keep uptade how its look situation.

You can take your x ray pic with you, it will help them as long as it is a good clear pic. You shouldn't have to pay more at the hospital even if they take x rays of their own.

Good luck and all the best to you :butterfly:

Back