• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

No pain!!! 37 yrs had my lower impacted partial bony wisdoms out 7 days ago.

  • Thread starter Thread starter rop1976
  • Start date Start date
R

rop1976

Junior member
Joined
Apr 18, 2013
Messages
2
Location
Australia
No pain!!! 37 yrs had my lower impacted partial bony wisdoms out 7 days ago.

Hi everyone, I wanted to come back and post about my experience getting my lower wisdoms out under general as I was soooooo terrified I basically didn't sleep for 2 weeks. I was soooo anxious at the thought it was literally all I could think about. Please don't worry it was a walk in the park. Here's my story. I am 37 and due to having mild periodontal disease I was advised to get my wisdom teeth out so they would not cause a party of bacteria in my mouth (gross but true lol). I heard (well google told me) that the older you are the more difficult, the more likely you are to have nerve damage, the harder recovery is etc etc NOT TRUE! Please don't believe the things you read out there, this was my biggest mistake! On the day of the surgery I was so nervous I took half an Ativan to try and relax me and almost in tears made my way the the oral surgeon ( Dr Andrew Heggie, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon apparently the best in Australia, in Melbourne AMAZING) . I went in saw the nurses and as I was going under general talked to the anaesthetist about what would happen etc, at this point I started crying at I hate hate hate the feeling of being numb and didn't want to wake up to a numb mouth and worry about it wearing off etc so he said he would just numb up the back wisdoms ( not something they ever do as they normally Jaw Block you both sides) he said I might wake up to some pain as obviously they normally numb you up. I was so scared of waking up in pain, the after pain, and all the other worries I had including going under general (I have a baby and was worried about not waking up). So in I went to the hospital room and lay down crying a little and made some jokes etc to the nurses about being silly. Next thing I was getting injected into my arm (didn't even feel it) and I asked if he had just given me something to relax me and he said yes, next sec I felt amazing and then out I went! I woke up about 30 min later to the nurse and was like "Is it over" and yep it was, I wasn't even numb and felt a tiny ache and some gauze in my mouth,waited for the all clear and then left with my partner. He had already gone to the chemist and got all the drugs, strong ones with codeine and also normal over the counter ibuprofen . When I got home I took a couple of over the counters and waited for the pain to set in. Well guess what, it never did!!!!!! I iced my face that night every couple of hours and continued to take the over the counter pain meds every 8 hours and thought for sure it would start hurting at some point. I practically had no pain, I didn't get any swelling, bruising, and no stiff Jaw! I took mild pain meds for 2 days, I followed all the instructions about rinsing now I'm 7 days post op and am soooo glad I did it and it was nothing like I imagined!!! My wisdoms were partial bony, impacted and I had to get my gum cut back so it wasn't straight forward and it was a breeze. Please don't stress out like I did, scour the net for stories about what could happen. You will be so proud of yourself once you do it I promise! My only advice is go to an oral surgeon if you can, I had my top 2 out in the dentist chair at different times and even though it was easy as those were actually fully out I did have a stiff jaw and a little pain (so I'm not one of those rare stories of the people that never feel pain) from those both times, also don't think the top will hurt more than the bottom or vice versa not true either, I think it just comes down to how experienced the person taking them out is. Just find someone experienced and it will be a breeze!
 
Back
Top