• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

"No....we don't remove teeth unless they are unable to be saved..." (Phobic rant!)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spoon Herder
  • Start date Start date
Spoon Herder

Spoon Herder

Junior member
Joined
Nov 2, 2017
Messages
1
Location
Portsmouth
"No....we don't remove teeth unless they are unable to be saved..." (Phobic rant!)

After avoiding dental offices like the plague for over ten years I finally called it quits and managed to get myself inside one. A tooth had broken in half and was causing me 'a great deal of pain'.....no sleep, couldn't have eaten anything if I'd even wanted too and I came to the grim conclusion that I really had to see a dentist....

Rewinding a bit the story of how I ended up sweating bullets in a dental office that cold February day with a mouth that would make small children cry when they look at it, is simple.

I had a lovely dentist as a child, never needed a filling and never minded going to an appointment...then I turned 18 and was passed along to a new dentist. She 'cleaned' my teeth (my first time) whilst being rather....brisk.... about my lack of flossing, something I had never even heard of let alone been told to do at that point. After I got out of that office I was shaking, my mouth hurt like the blazes and my gums bled for several hours afterwards....I...never....went....back.... :redface:

A few years later I was in a car accident which I thought I had escaped from unscathed only to find that drinking water made my back teeth hurt. I shrugged and thought no more of it at the time, over the years they began to hurt more often and eventually one 'fell apart' one day when I was eating walnuts. Lucky for me it was long gone and didn't hurt to much, the sharp edges that eventually broke down cut my tongue for a while but nothing more.

Ten years later I wake up one morning with gap between my front teeth :hmm:
The back teeth (one on each side, upper and lower) had one by one broken down over the years, a few lumps of tooth are still in my gums but aside from needing to chewing more carefully and pulling out the odd bit now and then I wasn't in pain. I assumed the gap was caused by the extra 'space' allowing my teeth to spread out a bit.....this was not the case.

Anyway, when my new dentist looked into my mouth I could see his shock (even though he has probably seen worse in his time). My whole mouth was diseased (to use his words) and he sent me home saying he could save the broken tooth. I was to come back next week to have it fixed.....the rest of the tooth broke that night in my sleep (I'm a grinder). I went back and he decided to refer me to have my a few teeth out at the hospital and he would 'rescue' the rest. 3 months later I phone up to see what's going on only to find he no longer works at the practise, they have none of my records and no request had been put through to the local hospital.:mad:

By now my mouth is in real trouble, pus....lots of it....and the smell was horrific....

So....I go and see another dentist at the same surgery, she is lovely and understands that poking my mouth in anyway is out of the question (the last fellow had poke around and I'd been in even more pain afterwards as a result). X-rays are done again, she asks about if I still want the referral for my bad teeth and I say I do. At the same time having been told that they do not remove teeth unless they can't be saved I go to my Doctor to see if I can get sent to the phobia clinic as if I can get my case across I might, just might be able to get my teeth out all at once and have dentures instead. :jump:

That was over a year ago, it turns out that the phobia clinic wanted more information before they would even see me.... I've lost another back tooth and my teeth are warped and twisted at the front like something out of a horror film. The tooth I lost had to be extracted, I won't get into the grim details but my body did everything it could to embarrass me that day and I had to walk home down back alleys and side routes because of the 'mess'.

I haven't kissed my partner for three years, my breath could knock out a man at ten paces, endless pus and I try to avoid looking in the mirror/smiling when ever I can. Yet still I'm told they really don't want to remove my 'good' teeth?!!

I'd rather suffer the 'horrors' of dentures (had these tales told to me by my Gran many times in the past!) than live with this anymore. Even my poor old mother who is nearing 60 is STILL having 'work done' at the dentist! :eek: Her jaw bone is so thin that when she had to have a couple of teeth out a few months ago it fractured the jaw...... :scared:

Sure, look after your teeth, keep them if you can by all means, but when is enough enough?

Am I expected to be going to a dentist in my 80ts to get work done?
Am I the only one that thinks that that just sound completely insane if not barbaric?

I have honestly considered doing some pretty stupid things in the last few years to ensure that none of my teeth can be 'saved'. And I won't even get into the dark places my mind has gone when I considered years and years ahead spent in a dentists chair :shame:

One other thing that got me was being told that is that when I'm was 'knocked out' to have a tooth out they can't clean my teeth (and do all the nasty things needed to 'save' my 'good' teeth) while I'm out cold....:confused:

If people can have heart surgery whilst 'knocked out' why can't my teeth be cleaned/fixed/re-arranged into neat rows...etc in that state? :hmm:

Sorry for the long rambling rant! I'm just fed up with it all.... and my mouth is hurting more than usual :(
 
Re: "No....we don't remove teeth unless they are unable to be saved..." (Phobic rant!)

It's a tough one because dentists almost never extract teeth that can be saved due to the long-term implications.

You could try a different clinic and a different dentist. Different dentists come to different conclusions sometimes. You could try arguing your case from different angles: the pain, the psychological effects of significant dental work, the self-esteem issues etc etc.

Whatever you do, don't damage your teeth on purpose in any way, which might have health consequences beyond your original intention. And if you get in so bad a state you're really thinking of doing that, or harming yourself in another way, please go to the doctor and explain your situation in detail. They might be able to help you.

I'm really sorry you're in this situation. There's nothing worse than feeling like you're not being listened to. This forum is for venting and rambling, so feel free to complain as much as you'd like. :hug4:
 
Back
Top