• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oligodontia, Major bone grafting and sinus lift story

R

rachpanter333

I suffer with Oligodontia which is a rare condition whereby my adult teeth were never made, so fast forward a bit, last year my baby teeth started weakening. Fast forward a bit more, because I've never had any teeth to support my jaw, I have very low bone density therefore implants would only be possible with bone grafting. I had the rest of my back teeth taken out, and last week (Wednesday 9th) I had my surgery...

My surgery took 4 and a half hours.
They harvested bone from my left hip, and right lower jaw for grafting into my upper jaw both sides.
I spent 4 days in a high dependency ward.
My hip wound had a drain in it for that time and more. I had to keep it in when I went home, but it was taken out yesterday. And that hurt. A lot.
My mouth is so full of stitches, right along the top both sides, and along the top gums and into the roof of my mouth.
My right inner cheek and lower back jaw had stitches. Basically all I can feel is stitches.
My swelling is mostly in the right of my face, with plenty of bruising.
I came home at the weekend, and am still struggling to walk. I'm using at least 1 Crutch, if not 2.
My face is mostly numb, but I can feel the pain which is really odd.
My hip is also numb, I have limited movement, but again the pain is really bad.

I'm a high pain threshold kinda girl, so it's really got me down his much this surgery has taken it out of me.

I'm back a week today with the consultant.

I am now 34 years old by the way, and all of this is possible through the wonderful NHS. I might be suffering, but I cannot thank them enough for their help with my condition, treatment, and continuing fear about dentists... Yes even after a life time of dentists, I still have a constant 'ugh' feeling ?

Last edited:
Congratulations on making it this far in your journey. It takes a great deal of courage to step out into the unknown and in spite of our fears give ourselves the opportunity for a better life, with a beautiful SMILE.

Wishing you the very best as things move forward.

Back