• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain a over four days after filling

D

dentalpat

Hello,

About two months ago I went to the dentist to the first time in a long time. They said that I basically do not take great care of my teeth and that I needed to start because by looking at my gums I needed to improve. They also said I had a few cavities. I did really well for the next month and a half, and when I came back they were surprised by how well I did. They could immediately tell I changed my habits and were impressed because not many patients did that. So I got my cavities done and at the end the dentist disappeared quickly after saying I MAY need a root canal. Yuck. I have already had one before, not too bad but I just don't have much time for it (I will make time if it comes down to that.)

So another assistant/dentist at the office right after my fillings said that I may need a root canal. I asked questions and she basically said if I feel super sensitive after cold things or hot after a few days I need to come back in and get it all checked out, probably resulting in a root canal if it were unbearable. I actually felt barely any sensitivity. Nothing noticeable for the next couple of days. The problem is it has been five days and my tooth has been aching on and off. It is in no way terrible, but it is super annoying and I want it to stop. I definitely cannot focus with this pain for a lot longer. It is about an annoying four. I'm going in tomorrow to ask, but I'm very worried. So basically I have a few questions. (BTW, the root canals may have come from trauma since I was a high school athlete a year ago).

Should I need a root canal if the tooth is NOT SUPER sensitive?

How long does pain last after deep fillings?

Am I just worrying too much?

I've heard rumors from the internet that root canals can cause anything from heart problems to cancer. This is a little scary, but I'm not sure if I believe it. Should I even listen to those websites?

I was seventeen when I had my first root canal, and I'm worried it wasn't a great job. No real reason for me to think that. I just didn't really know what was going on. The endodontist seemed VERY reputable, but I was just a teenager doing what I was told and didn't ask many questions. Can I get my root canal accessed by my dentist, or would that involve deep dental work to look for infection?

ANY AND ALL HELP IS WELCOME. THANK YOU.

Also, since I went a few years without taking good care of my teeth, am I doomed? The dentist didn't note any major problems but basically said "if you continue, you will be in dentures, you need to fix it" attitude. So as long as I start now, (I'm eighteen) am I safe, as long as I go to the dentist twice a year?

Hi dentalpat :welcome: to the forum.

A deep filling can take a few weeks to settle I think, it will depend how bad the sensitivity or pain gets. Deep fillings last different times with different people I had a really big deep filling for 6 years before it got infected and needed a rct. I knew when I had it done that at some point it would need a rct.

A dentist can access your tooth to do a rct, they are not to be afraid of. I would think that the one you had done will be fine if you have not had pain or any problems with it.

I would also think that if you continue to look after your teeth you will be fine, any problems that crop up will be seen by the dentist when you go every 6 months. So any treatment will be to prevent bigger problems.

We all worry and stress about our teeth and that is quite normal on here. Do not google teeth related issues it will scare you half to death. We have dentists on here that will give you the help they can without seeing you they cannot diagnose what may be wrong but they certainly give good advice. There are all sorts of subject from fillings to rct's if you click on the tabs at the top of the page. Their is a mine of information up there.

If there is anything that you are worried about we will do our best here but you cannot beat going to your dentist and letting them have a look to put your mind at rest or treat the problem.

I hope you stick around and join us, we have all been stressed and found comfort and encouragement on here and you can too.

All the best to you :butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

Back