• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain all along jawline with tmj/grinding teeth..?

L

lallyy13

Pain along jawline towards chin with TMJ?Hi! I'm very stressed and anxious at the moment, I have a problem with my jaw joint in that it locks open if I open my mouth too wide. But recently I have been having an achy/itchy feeling all along my jawline on both sides... Even on my chin!
I know that I have been grinding and clenching my teeth.. I'm just wanting to find out if people have this pain all along their jawline not just at their jaw joint?
It also feels tender to touch along my jawline!

Hi Lally, yes you can have all sorts of pain. I have a problem with this and have been in agony since a very recent adjustment with pain in my neck and excruciating headaches. Do you wear a nightguard?

I can relate to your pain. Unfortunately, not only is it common but it will likely keep occurring. I get flare ups and the pain is similar to that, this weird burning aching sensation. Mine is usually a small area (1-2 inches on my jaw line - can be anywhere) but it depends on where you were grinding. Eventually it starts to feel like someone punched in the face in the area. Your teeth need to heal and your muscles need to heal. Lay off the chewing for a couple days - eat soft foods. Take a something like Robax Platinum for the pain. If you can afford it, get in to see a message therapist.

Talk to your dentist about getting a night guard at night. It will save your teeth. However, I don't find it helps with the muscle pain, but a lot of people do. Definitely worth it.

Hang in there :)

I've been having this same achy itchy pain in my jaw as as well as two teeth that were filled in the beginning of the year. It seems to go from in front of my ear, down my jaw and up into those teeth. It gets temporarily better when I massage my jaw and chin. There are some sore spots that if I work at the pain goes away completely. I never had tmj issues until I got those two teeth filled so I think it's related somehow. The day after i eat so.ething chewy it hurts pretty bad.

You can get physical therapy for this as well as ultrasound heat therapy. I finished mine months ago but am now having more flare ups. Im worried it will never go away and don't think my insurance will cover constant physical therapy. :(

Back