• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain and numbness a week after wisdom tooth removal

  • Thread starter Thread starter Satisdee
  • Start date Start date
S

Satisdee

Junior member
Joined
Sep 13, 2016
Messages
2
A couple of years ago, my dentist told me I should have my wisdom teeth removed, because the lower ones were impacted and would eventually cause me problems. I already had one of my upper wisdom teeth removed in the past without any dramas. The dentist sent me for some X-rays to see where my nerves were, but I never ended up having the teeth extracted because I was too nervous and it was a lot of money.


Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I went back to the dentist complaining of pain in my tooth (lower right, at the back). He said I had a bit of an infection in the gum where the impacted last molar touches the tooth in front of it and wanted to remove all three of my remaining wisdom teeth, so we made an appointment two weeks later to do so. In the mean time, I was prescribed a course of antibiotics and my pain went away within a couple of days.


Two weeks later I turn up at the dental clinic to have the teeth extracted and the upper left wisdom tooth comes out without any pain or incident. All good, I thought. But things started to get painful when he moved on to my lower right wisdom tooth. Wiggling, pulling, drilling, I felt all of it. It was a nightmare. I told him it was hurting and he gave me another injection of local anaesthetic, which didn’t help much. My eyes were watering from the pain - the back of my hair was wet from the tears running down. A few times I involuntarily recoiled away from the dentist and his assistant from really sharp jolts of pain. This went on for more than two hours and he had to get the principal dentist in to have a look because he was having a great deal of difficulty extracting it. They were talking quietly among themselves and left for a few minutes to talk in the hallway. I was almost prepared to get up and walk out because the pain so far had been extremely bad. Eventually he tore the tooth out and said he wouldn’t be able to remove the final molar that day.


It’s now been just over one week since the extractions. The pain wasn’t too bad for the first few days but from about 4 or 5 days afterwards, I’ve been experiencing intense pain in my jaw and have hardly been sleeping. There is a very strange burning sensation on my lower lip and my chin feels funny and numb. Yesterday I went in to have the stitches removed and explained this to the dentist but he said it’s healing well and that as it heals further, the pain and numbness will go away.


I thought by now the pain, lip burning and numbness would have started to subside, but it hasn’t. I’m very tired from not being able to sleep properly and I worry that I’ve been taking too many painkillers (I’ve been taking 500mg paracetamol and 200mg ibuprofen 5 timers per day).


I’m just really over it and getting a bit frustrated and depressed. There doesn't seem to be any respite from the pain.
 
A couple of years ago, my dentist told me I should have my wisdom teeth removed, because the lower ones were impacted and would eventually cause me problems. I already had one of my upper wisdom teeth removed in the past without any dramas. The dentist sent me for some X-rays to see where my nerves were, but I never ended up having the teeth extracted because I was too nervous and it was a lot of money.


Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I went back to the dentist complaining of pain in my tooth (lower right, at the back). He said I had a bit of an infection in the gum where the impacted last molar touches the tooth in front of it and wanted to remove all three of my remaining wisdom teeth, so we made an appointment two weeks later to do so. In the mean time, I was prescribed a course of antibiotics and my pain went away within a couple of days.


Two weeks later I turn up at the dental clinic to have the teeth extracted and the upper left wisdom tooth comes out without any pain or incident. All good, I thought. But things started to get painful when he moved on to my lower right wisdom tooth. Wiggling, pulling, drilling, I felt all of it. It was a nightmare. I told him it was hurting and he gave me another injection of local anaesthetic, which didn’t help much. My eyes were watering from the pain - the back of my hair was wet from the tears running down. A few times I involuntarily recoiled away from the dentist and his assistant from really sharp jolts of pain. This went on for more than two hours and he had to get the principal dentist in to have a look because he was having a great deal of difficulty extracting it. They were talking quietly among themselves and left for a few minutes to talk in the hallway. I was almost prepared to get up and walk out because the pain so far had been extremely bad. Eventually he tore the tooth out and said he wouldn’t be able to remove the final molar that day.


It’s now been just over one week since the extractions. The pain wasn’t too bad for the first few days but from about 4 or 5 days afterwards, I’ve been experiencing intense pain in my jaw and have hardly been sleeping. There is a very strange burning sensation on my lower lip and my chin feels funny and numb. Yesterday I went in to have the stitches removed and explained this to the dentist but he said it’s healing well and that as it heals further, the pain and numbness will go away.


I thought by now the pain, lip burning and numbness would have started to subside, but it hasn’t. I’m very tired from not being able to sleep properly and I worry that I’ve been taking too many painkillers (I’ve been taking 500mg paracetamol and 200mg ibuprofen 5 timers per day).


I’m just really over it and getting a bit frustrated and depressed. There doesn't seem to be any respite from the pain.

Hi, did the feeling ever come back? I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I'm a week on and still have numbness in my left side teeth lip and chin and it causes sever awkward pain at times.
I would appreciate your reply.
 
Hi, I'm happy to say that the pain has gone away completely. I still have slight numbness in my chin, but it's not a problem and I don't notice it anymore unless I think about it.
 
Back
Top