• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain and Stiffness 6 Days Post Extraction, Is This Normal.

B

brandy27

I had a tooth extracted last Tuesday and now it is really hurting me. On a scale of 1-10, the pain is a 10. I have to take 600 mg of ibeprofen and 325mg of hydrcoden to bring it down to about a 3.

I saw my oral surgeon this morning who said it is healing fast and there is no dry socket or infection. He could explain why it hurting me so much. I start a new job on Friday as a vet tech and can not afford to be in all this pain.

My last extraction 7 weeks ago had a dry socket and it was painful and took forever to heal. There is only a dimple in the area now but it can still be sore.

Is it normal to be in that much pain 6 days post extraction and still be healing properly and quickly? How long should I wait with the pain before ringing them for an appointment again given that it doesn't cost me time off work since I can't do as it's a new job. I can't go get a second opinion due to my HMO insurance.

Any help appreciated, I'm so over this dental journey.

Any response would really help!

Brandy,

So sorry you are going through all this pain.. has it calmed down a bit at all? any call to the dentist office for advice if so? I sure hope you start to feeling a bit better very soon!

Brandy,

So sorry you are going through all this pain.. has it calmed down a bit at all? any call to the dentist office for advice if so? I sure hope you start to feeling a bit better very soon!

No, I called them today this morning as it's been 8 days and the socket is still extremely sore. It's an 8 and ibuprofen is barely touching it. They never called me back. I'm having my teeth cleaned tomorrow and i'm afraid it will make things worst but I'm way over due for my cleaning. I can only hope this pain will go away very, very soon.

Ok , so you are going in tomorrow you can make special note of that area to the hygenist so they will be careful around it and maybe have the dentist take a look or get special attn to it? Hope they can help you with that give some assurance/relief somehow

Ok , so you are going in tomorrow you can make special note of that area to the hygenist so they will be careful around it and maybe have the dentist take a look or get special attn to it? Hope they can help you with that give some assurance/relief somehow

Thank you! I will totally tell hygenist to be careful. However, the dentist is on vacation for two weeks. Also, it's the oral surgeon who pulled the tooth. It's so weird how I will have no pain for a day or 2 and then pain will come roaring back. Maybe I'm just a super painful heal? Either wait relief has to come soon. It took forever for my dry socket to stop hurting and 2 months later it can still be sore in that area!

Hi Brandy, I would say that this is up to you. Enduring pain that's 10 on a scale from 1 to 10 would for me be too much even after 3 days. If your dentist says you are fine but you are not, then he should look further and find a solution. If he doesn't, see someone else..

Hope you feel better soon...

Back