• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain in a tooth that had the nerve removed

B

Betty77

About twenty years ago i had a bottom tooth filled. I had lots and lots of problems with it and the dentist eventually removed the nerve in the tooth then refilled it.

I have not had a problem with it since until now. I can feel a gap between the filling and my tooth, my tooth feels sore and i have teeth that are coated with a furry feeling all down that side. I've also had a funny taste in my mouth on and off for weeks. I think I'm making it feel worse by prodding and poking at the tooth with my tongue also. I also clench my teeth which doesn't help.

I suffer with severe anxiety and panic attacks and have cancelled appointments for the last four of months to get this looked at. It's now bank holiday weekend and i don't know if it is the anxiety of not being able to get seen or if it hurts.

My question is would a tooth with the nerve removed cause pain or feel sore?
I think i know the answer to this but would like some advice please.

About twenty years ago i had a bottom tooth filled. I had lots and lots of problems with it and the dentist eventually removed the nerve in the tooth then refilled it.

I have not had a problem with it since until now. I can feel a gap between the filling and my tooth, my tooth feels sore and i have teeth that are coated with a furry feeling all down that side. I've also had a funny taste in my mouth on and off for weeks. I think I'm making it feel worse by prodding and poking at the tooth with my tongue also. I also clench my teeth which doesn't help.

I suffer with severe anxiety and panic attacks and have cancelled appointments for the last four of months to get this looked at. It's now bank holiday weekend and i don't know if it is the anxiety of not being able to get seen or if it hurts.

My question is would a tooth with the nerve removed cause pain or feel sore?
I think i know the answer to this but would like some advice please.

It could be anything that is causing the pain.

The funny taste is probably infection, but this could be the gum or the tooth, especially as the furry feeling means that this is probably tartar, which cause all sorts of gum issues. As you had the root canal a long time ago, the tooth could be cracked, which will cause all sorts of vague issues and if cracked will never settle down.

The only way to sort this out is to book an appointment for the dentist to have a look and diagnose your problem. The longer you leave it the more likely you are to develop an abscess which will cause all sorts of problems and pain, so the sooner it is looked at the better and you can start to get yourself out of the pain you are already in. I know the fear of dentists is scary, but your health could be at risk if it is not sorted out.

It is better knowing, than wondering what is wrong.

Hope you sort it out soon.

Thankyou for your reply. I am booked in at an NHS dentist on 17 may. I think i should probably try to get seen sooner though. It's my own fault I've cancelled numerous times over the last few months about this.

I fear you are right re it being an infection and I'm terrifed of getting another abscess.

Thankyou for your reply. I am booked in at an NHS dentist on 17 may. I think i should probably try to get seen sooner though. It's my own fault I've cancelled numerous times over the last few months about this.

I fear you are right re it being an infection and I'm terrifed of getting another abscess.

Betty - I really do think you should be seen sooner than May 17th. The tooth may just need a new filling and/or a new crown or it may have cracked. Or you may need to have the RCT repeated...any number of situations could be happening to your tooth.

First, don't panic. This tooth has been bothering you for a while now (4 months?) and I doubt it's suddenly going to be full on abscess over a holiday weekend. Of course anything is possible, but think positively about this.

If it's infected and you do end up in terrible pain over the weekend, you can always seek Emergency care to at least get antibiotics and pain medication to get you through the weekend until you can see your Dentist.

I agree with Zeezee - get a professional diagnosis before you panic. It may not be nearly as bad as you think. And no matter what the diagnosis is, this too shall pass.

Good luck.

Thankyou for your reply.

I shall call the dentist on Tuesday. I am getting worked up into a state and i know it might be something or nothing.
Yes the tooth has bothered me for some time on and off.

I am Registered at a private dentist and have recently registered at an NHS dentist as i don't think I'm going to be able to afford treatment at the private clinic. But i shall call the private dentist on Tuesday and ask for an appointment as I'm likely to get seen sooner there i imagine..

I think my anxiety is making it worse to be honest. I am terrified because if you see previous posts i made a few years ago I've been in a similar situation and ended up with abscesses and extraction.

I also know it's more than one tooth i need sorting out. I'm terrified of numbing and being numb. And my anxiety disorder means i cannot drive far but my dentist (private) is 20 miles away.

Sorry for the ramble. Thankyou both for your replies.

The tooth I'm worrying over at the minute is a bottom tooth that's just next to my front row of teeth before the back ones. If that makes sense? The tooth is half filling, half tooth and I can feel a crack/line between the tooth and filling.

How are you getting on, Betty? Any sooner appointment scheduled?

How are you getting on, Betty? Any sooner appointment scheduled?

Hi I've made an appointment with a private dentist for 3rd may. That was the soonest they could see me. I've asked to be put on the cancellation list also. They could have seen me next Thursday but that day is my birthday ?
I have been making my problem worse with my already existing Anxiety issue and I'm clenching my teeth. The taste in my mouth hasn't been there daily. Today its quite bitter, yesterday i didn't have it at all.

Back