• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain when teeth touch after root canals

L

LauraQ68

So, I had two root canals done several hours ago. As I’m trying to sleep, my teeth keep touching and I’m getting sharp pain. Is this normal and should I expect it to improve? I didn’t think it would hurt to bite down. I’m trying desperately not to! Thanks for any advice.

Your bite could be off from the temp filling/crown. It is a super easy and painless fix. I would call your dentist back as soon as possible so that they can adjust your bite to get you out of pain.

My root canals were on opposite sides, and I definitely had discomfort/some moderate pain. My endodontist said that was normal & said the area in/around the tooth could be sensitive for up to a week. I’m assuming you only received a temp filling in the teeth yesterday, correct? I think those can cause a bit of an issue with your bite being a bit off too. If it’s just mild/moderate discomfort, personally I’d give it a week. I think my tooth took about 4-5 days to settle down. Once I got the temp crown and then the permanent crown, no issues.

My root canals were on opposite sides, and I definitely had discomfort/some moderate pain. My endodontist said that was normal & said the area in/around the tooth could be sensitive for up to a week. I’m assuming you only received a temp filling in the teeth yesterday, correct? I think those can cause a bit of an issue with your bite being a bit off too. If it’s just mild/moderate discomfort, personally I’d give it a week. I think my tooth took about 4-5 days to settle down. Once I got the temp crown and then the permanent crown, no issues.

Yes, they are temp fillings. I go back in a week for impressions for crowns. Thank you for the reassurance!

Yes, they are temp fillings. I go back in a week for impressions for crowns. Thank you for the reassurance!

I too had pain when my teeth touched after RCT, as others have said it’s often the change in bite from the filling or mild swelling I think I’m my case.

I too had pain when my teeth touched after RCT, as others have said it’s often the change in bite from the filling or mild swelling I think I’m my case.

Yes, I think you're exactly right. I'm just being careful with chewing until I get my crowns. Hopefully that will solve the problem!

Back