• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panic. Insomnia, terror, rather just die, and I haven't been yet

Y

YazL

Right now I want to die. I' not exaggerating, sadly- although I can hold onto my head enough not to try anything.

I'm 19. I've just moved to Melbourne to start uni. I don't know anyone here, don't have a very supportive family back home and uni starts next week.

I've had a sensitive tooth for the last week or two. I wasn't too worried, as I had a filling on it shortly before and I've had sensitive teeth post fillings but it normally doesn't stick around long.
But while flossing I noticed a pinkish hue on the crown. I googled it, and it looks like there's no other possibility than internal resorption, and that means either root canal or, more likely, an extraction.

I tell myself to calm down- I'll get any work done under IV sedation like I had to last time- my PTSD is triggered by the dentist and I turn into a wreck- and it'll get sorted out. My dad will probably pay. But that doesn't stop the physical symptoms of anxiety.

What actually happens when you get a tooth taken out? It's a back one, so do they put anything in its place? Will it be done in one appointment?

I had xrays 3 months ago. Can it really have happened this fast?

Luckily I found a dentist with IV sedation who you can enquire to online and they call you. I physically can't make the call.
I don't even have anyone that I CAN call to calm me down.

Help.

Dont worry about something that hasnt happened yet - you may not need an extraction and if you do it takes a few minutes and is over.

Do you not have a social welfare officer at the University who can support you at the moment?

Ive just found this dentist recommended for phobics in your area

272 Briggs St
CAULFIELD SOUTH
VIC, 316
[SIZE=-1](03) 9527 7278[/SIZE]
Melbourne
Greater Melbourne area
Victoria

Judi Burstyner is a dentist who is into hypnosis and working with anxious/nervous dental patients, so if you're in this area, you could try and contact her.

Thank you :)
I know I SHOULDN'T panic. But that doesn't stop me.

I'm not even enrolled yet.
I'm starting mid-year so that happens next week.
I know that there's a uni counselling service, but have heard it takes weeks to get an appointment.
I have some valium left from last dental visit (a month ago!) but it's never done much more than give me a headache the next day.

I found that "Googling" my "problems" only worried me more than I needed to. I thought I had allsorts of problems and required extensive treatment. After actually going to the dentist I found that I'd really been worried over nothing.

I'd not been for over 15 years. You've had treatment in the last 3. I'd be very surprised if it's as bad as you think.

Totally agree with the above, if at all possible dont google your problems
as from my own experience make you imagine all sorts!!!!!

And believe me i did:o:o

then when I actually got to the dentist they were actually lovely and I don't need have the work done I had convinced myself I did!!!!!!!!

You have made the first step by coming on here - it is a helpful forum with amazing people who will help you and i find actually calm you down rather than scare you!!!!!

Best of luck and keep us informed of your progress

Oh and remember as well that this is a dental phobia website so you are with like minded people and we will help you all we can

:-*:-*

Hi Yazl, I've

Last edited:
I would third the 'don't google your problem' idea. For those of us with anxiety issues...it seems to me that can add fuel to the fire.

On the other hand, googling helped me find this board :).

I just had four extractions done, all wisdom teeth, over the age of 40 with IV sedation and except for the numb face on day 1 that seemed like it would never go away(took about 12 hrs), its been pretty uneventful. Its scary, but you'll be ok! Just find a GOOD oral surgeon who can work with anxiety, not against it.

Day of my procedure, I was scared, nervous, anxious, afraid of things like the nitrous oxide mask! Anxiety is my friend, part of my mind and i try to respect her because she's part of me. You know what worked to help me get through it? The assistant gave me a blanket to put over myself in the chair. A very simple act of kindness snapped Ms Anxiety and i could focus on making myself relax. The blanket reminded me that people care and they are not out to hurt me.

Thanks everyone for your kind words :)

I actually called my mum at 4am home time sobbing, which is pretty big cause I'm not close with her due to childhood stuff.
Actually called a dentist, (!) but they quoted me $400 (Aussie) for the sedation- this cost me $150-$200 in Perth! So I'm still looking.

This is just such bad timing. It's now really sore, I"m starting a uni degree that I'm going to have to work really hard at cause I've forgotten maths next week, have to be out of my current accommodation in 10 days and don't have a new place yet, and don't know people here. Ergh. Adventure I guess.

I'm going to try go to the doctor today to get some pain meds and something to help me sleep. And maybe I'll actually get another referral to see a psychiatrist. I thought moving cities would help with my PTSD (which may be C-PTSD), but this is just bringing it all back :(

I'm promising myself that I'll get through this. You're all exactly right, and I don't WANT to die, my mind just wants to at the height of panic. I just feel so hopeless knowing in 6 months I'll probably need more work. I grind my teeth A LOT. Speaking of, anyone happening to read this know of any ways to minimise grinding? I have an occlusal splint but that just stops me doing more damage, I still grind in my sleep and wish I didn't. There's probably a thread for that. I'll look.

And as to googling, very true I know, and I normally calm down remembering not to worry (yet)- but my tooth is pink and painful. There doesn't seem to be any other prognosis :(

Bloody Google ;)

Back