• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Partial Denture Causing Gum Problems?

L

LizzieS

I had four upper front teeth out in March due to periodontal disease and continued infections. I had an immediate healing denture which I still gave. At my last visit, the hygienist told me that the perio pockets around my canine teeth were showing signs of being infected and that the denture may be making things worse - I'm terrified that I nay like more teeth. Has anyone rose experienced this or similar?

Well, I've been to the dentist today and it looks like I have another four teeth that need to come out. To say I am disappointed is an understatement ?

I had four upper front teeth out in March due to periodontal disease and continued infections. I had an immediate healing denture which I still gave. At my last visit, the hygienist told me that the perio pockets around my canine teeth were showing signs of being infected and that the denture may be making things worse - I'm terrified that I nay like more teeth. Has anyone rose experienced this or similar?

Yes it can happen. If your oral hygiene is poor then the periodontal disease will progress. Since you wear a denture, it can stop saliva from reaching the gums and again cause more plaque and food to build up. We would strongly recommend you remove the denture before you go to bed.

Well, I've been to the dentist today and it looks like I have another four teeth that need to come out. To say I am disappointed is an understatement ?

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I know what it's like to keep losing teeth due to gum disease. If you lose a tooth or more it's like a domino affect even if you have a partial. I am wondering if it was suggested to you that you see a Periodontist who can evaluate and may even be able to save your remaining teeth.

Back