• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please can i have your opinion - photos

N

Nicci

Please can you tell me what you think is wrong - photos attached.

They all started of as white patches, eventually a small hollow would form..
These hollows just get bigger and darker over time.

My NHS dentist says it's just staining/ they need cleaning.
I'm reluctant to accept that as I fear it's a cavity and/or some sort of erosion.
I don't want someone to do more damage if they end up scrubbing away at something that isn't a stain.

A private dentist wants to cover them with composite bonding.
I'm worried if I cover it with bonding that it could just get worse underneath i?

So, what do you think it is please?
And is the thing near the green mark an indication that another hollow may soon form?

(I've already written about this in another post but probably wrote too much/wasnt clear due to anxiety/fear.)

Attachments

• _20210709_233233.JPG
    _20210709_233233.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 32
  • _20210708_174555.JPG
    _20210708_174555.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 34
Hi Nicci,

The green circled one is a bit difficult to see as the photo is slightly blurry. It looks like a minor dent or erosion of the enamel, if so, composite bonding would be appropriate.
The other photos appears to show that the enamel on your teeth has become what we call decalcified. This means it has been attacked by acid, either in food or from bacteria living on your teeth that have had sugar too often. The enamel, first becomes white and chalky, then brown spots appear and then small cavities appear. If this is the case, then you need first of all to cut down on the frequency of sugar intake to stop feeding the bacteria, then your dentist may prescribe a special high fluoride toothpaste to try and harden the chalky enamel. Where the enamel has broken down you will need some small white fillings. This should get things under control.
All this is assuming I am seeing things right from your photos.
Hope this helps

Lincoln

Thank you very much for taking the time to look, I really do appreciate it. I just wish the Dentists I've been going to would agree.

What you've said seems right to me, it's become sensitive to food (esp as it can accumulate in the largest hole everytime I eat.. So eating is now giving me anxiety). It also looks black from the back side of the tooth which probably explains the sensitivity too.
I'm just very aware of the tooth with the largest spot the most. I didn't want to go ahead with bonding if it's just masking a problem, (plus then I wouldn't be able to know what's truely going on/monitor its progression either).

I'm disappointed as I've been told by the NHS its just cosmetic, which doesn't seem fair or right when it does cause sensitivity and is just getting worse and worse.. I feel its just being allowed to progress.
Overall they've been very kind and patient with me but refuse to treat these front teeth as anything more than staining.
They did do a small white filling yrs ago but it didn't last long at all, so I don't think there's a point in getting them to do it again as surely it should last longer.

I have been using Regenerate toothpaste and serum.. I think I've reached the maximum of its capabilities tbh.

I think I probably need to go somewhere else.. I really don't want to start all over, or keep trying nre places in the midst of a pandemic, but I have to get on with it I guess.

I ramble. Sorry. Thank you again.

Back