• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please give me positive stories about being gummy

  • Thread starter Thread starter oidara
  • Start date Start date
O

oidara

Junior member
Joined
Jan 26, 2016
Messages
17
I had an upper premolar extracted yesterday. I also had a lower premolar on the opposite side filled, and it's 50-50 whether it will hold up or not.

I guess I am lucky in that the gap isn't super obvious, but you can see it if I give a wide smile and I don't like it! I am also worried about movement and how it will affect my other teeth. I read stories about your bite being affected, headaches, TMJ (which I already have), super-erupting, etc and I am not happy! I am only 39.

Sounds like bridges can damage adjoining teeth so that is a concern. And I don't like the idea/cost of implants. I had planned to just have a gap but now I really don't know.

Has anyone tried a removable denture for one missing tooth? What's that like?

I am so depressed about it and feel like keeping my mouth shut and not smiling. :(
 
Hi Oidara,

Thanks for asking this question. People please respond..how easy is it to replace an upper missing tooth? What are your experiences? What is the best type of partial to have for aesthetics and comfort?

Thanks in advance.
 
I have been thinking about this further because I'm going to be in the same position at some point =(

Would it be possible to pull your molars forward with braces to fill the gap? Obviously I have no idea but just wondering.
 
I don't know.I guess that would make them malaligned. And maybe I am too old!
 
I don't know either. I thought I'd read of someone doing something similar. But even if you could I suppose it could cost as much as a implant. I think I'll go down the implant route. But what about a flipper for aesthetics? Are you in the US? If so what about a snap on smile or valplast are supposed to be comfortable and indistinguishable?! xxx

I hope you find something suitable. We shouldn't have to go through this at our age!

x
 
I am in the UK. This all happened really suddenly so I haven't had time to digest it yet and figure out options. Maybe I will stick with the gap, but I am worried about long-term consequences which is why I was hoping to hear some positive experiences.

Sorry you are going to have to go through this too.
 
I don't think these problems happen to everybody. A friend of mine who has lovely looking teeth, attends dentist regularly (and is a few years younger than me) now has three teeth missing hasn't had any of those problems you mentioned. She lives with her upper premolar gap, smiles like she always has and is full of confidence.
 
That made me feel so much better. Thank you!
 
One last thing to share for this evening. I always forget about my hubby. He had two upper right two and upper left two removed when he was in his teens. His teeth hadn't formed properly and so weren't coming through and had calcified in the bone and gum and had to be surgically removed. He has never filled the gaps. The gaps have got smaller over the years. One is almost unnoticeable. Apparently your back teeth exert forward pressure and this can minimise gaps between teeth over time. My last dentist told me she had seen numerous examples over the years.

She also told me about one of her patients who had had a dental implant for over 40 years. (Just giving you another positive to mull over.)

Kind regards
 
Back
Top