• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Poll: Is it bad that my dentist didn't use a rubber dam on me when he did my root canal?

Is it bad that my dentist didn't use a rubber dam on me to do my root canal?

• Total voters
M

Mauricio88

Poll: Is it bad that my dentist didn't use a rubber dam on me when he did my root canal?

I've heard of issues that saliva contamination can cause root canals to fail or something like that when the dam isn't used. Any truth to this? I do have another root canal booked with this dentist. Should I go look for another dentist that uses rubber dams for root canals?

Re: Poll: Is it bad that my dentist didn't use a rubber dam on me when he did my root canal?

I have had two root canals done without a rubber dam. My dentist does not use them for some reason. I'm okay with that lol

Re: Poll: Is it bad that my dentist didn't use a rubber dam on me when he did my root canal?

My root canal 14 years ago was done without a rubber dam and it went fine, no issues ever. I'm a big fan of communication with the dentist to clarify all worries and questions.. why not asking him about the reasons he doesn't use the rubber dam and then decide if you would like to stay or look for an another practice?

Yes.
It's not the standard of care if you were to have root canal without rubber dam. However having said that if it is not feasbile to place a rubber dam because the tooth is very broken down then that can be justified. In my practice no rubber dam means no root canal I'm afraid especially because my dental insurance wouldn't cover me if I didn't use one.

Back