• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post crown fallen out

  • Thread starter Thread starter SallyUK
  • Start date Start date
S

SallyUK

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 3, 2011
Messages
297
Hello - the crown and post of a premolar has fallen out and I am anxious about the repair. I have had crowns fall off in the past and a recement has been possible. I have never had a crown with the post on it come out.


I have learnt through my phobia to try not to look to the next step, however in the back of my mind I expect the worse, extraction and then what? I have a gap next to this tooth and then a big molar, so I can't really afford to lose it as I guess this would mean implant or something (which I would rather not have).

Is this more problematic? The tooth underneath is black (not sure if it has been built up already) and seems to be very little height in it, although it seems fairly uniformed but only millimeteres above the gum (perhaps more on the inside edge). I know that one gum edge was not in ideal health when I had my check up a month ago and I know this 'old' crown does not have perfect margins, my dentist told me, Really hope it can be recemented - any advice welcome? Do they need to redo post or just cement back as they do a crown on its own?


Phoning dentist in the morning, have cleaned around it, the crown and post is somewhere safe and I am doing my best not to catastrophise!
 
Last edited:
Hi Sally, poor you, it is really hard not to worry, isn't it? :hug:

My crown and post fell out while I was on holiday in July, on a UK island with no resident dentist! The island doctor recemented it, and I went to my dentist when I got home. He hasn't done anything to it as it is as secure as it was before it fell out. A relative of mine on the island had the exact same thing happen two years ago, and his crown is still in his mouth! I think the island doctor is very experienced in recementing crowns!

I think a lot depends on whether the root is still intact, and that's something only your dentist will be able to tell. Good luck for tomorrow, and I hope you can keep from worrying too much.

:clover::clover::clover:
 
Hi Sally, poor you, it is really hard not to worry, isn't it? :hug:

My crown and post fell out while I was on holiday in July, on a UK island with no resident dentist! The island doctor recemented it, and I went to my dentist when I got home. He hasn't done anything to it as it is as secure as it was before it fell out. A relative of mine on the island had the exact same thing happen two years ago, and his crown is still in his mouth! I think the island doctor is very experienced in recementing crowns!

I think a lot depends on whether the root is still intact, and that's something only your dentist will be able to tell. Good luck for tomorrow, and I hope you can keep from worrying too much.

:clover::clover::clover:


Thank you - yes it is hard not to worry as I really really don't want this to be the end of the road for this tooth and I was breathing easy after my recent check up and feeling so good that things seemed stable :(

So, if I have the scenario correct, it is either a case of the cement failing or potentially a damaged root which has caused the crown to come off? I had no sign of anything wrong.

Another question, is the post normally attached to the crown or is the post meant to stay in the root canal? What I have is something that looks like a large pinboard pin, that's what shocked me, I didn't even realise I had this 'post' - the crown has been there for some time! So I am thinking it's a 'clean' situation that it has come away and nothing to be concerned about that the pin should still be in the tooth? I seem to remember another crown coming off and feeling a number of small pins sticking up from the remaining tooth and not being attached to the crown.

Thanks
 
I don't have experience with crowns personally. From what I gather, the post you're talking about is used when there's not enough of the natural tooth structure left to support the crown so they use the pin. It looks like they can be put back in (after adjustments are made) so there is always that possibility.

There is a section on this website on what to do when crowns misbehave:


Scroll down and it will talk about caring for crowns that decide they need a vacation.

Good luck :)
 
Thank you for direction to that page - am not comfortable trying to cement it back in myself, the pin looks mighty dangerous to have the potential of it falling out if I didn't do this properly :redface:

Still a bit concerned that the post is meant to be in the root and not attached to the crown - I will find out tomorrow but still, if any dentists can help, that would be great, I attach a photo of the crown that fell out :scared: The post is in there rock solid, amongst some concrete looking material. Still have fingers crossed for a re-cement solution.

photo.jpg
 
My post came out embedded in the crown, which didn't seem to surprise the doctor, so I'm guessing that often happens :confused:.
 
Yes if the post is still attached to the crown then don't try to put it back in.

Looking at dentist pages it seems the post extends up into the crown to help with stress. So even if you can only see the bottom portion, it's still up under the crown.
 
Conclusion:

Thankfully my dentist was able to recement the post and crown :laugh:

There was no decay and root OK - the whole thing isn't the best condition etc but it's a very old crown (20yrs), very grateful for all your support. Here's hoping all remains well with this crown for a while longer
 
Hi Sally, great to hear back from you about how you got on. I'm so glad it was resolved so easily. My crown is also old, but has stayed in OK since it was recemented in. I bet you're glad it's all over!

:jump::jump::jump:
 
I am indeed - receptionist mentioned how impressed she was with my continuing progress in overcoming fear of visits, I do like the encouragment I get there :)
 
I have posted a separate thread about this same thing but found this and thought I would contribute. I did not know that post crowns could come out and reading this thread makes me feel a bit better. I realise that it is not just me then. I hope mine can be put back as mine is a front tooth. I suspected something was wrong a while back and went to the dentist about it but he dismissed it as all in my imagination :scared:

I wonder what he will say now that it has actually come out? I have been extremely careful. What puzzles me bout this is when I went to see him at the time he told me to be careful with the tooth so he must have suspected all was not well with it otherwise why say be careful and then say oh its fine its all in your mind. I have always found him to be a good dentist apart from this issue.

:mad:
 
I just had my post and crown fall out. I have so much work that need to be done in my mouth I can’t stand it much longer. Almost ready to have them all pulled and get dentures. I am terrified. Go to dentist in an hour. I take Xanax before I go but still never enough. He doesn’t do gas.
 
Back
Top