• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pressure pain after stage 1 of root canal

J

Joeb

Basically little longer than 2 weeks ago I begun stage one root canal and for a while after that everything seemed okay , I could eat on there lightly and so on.... but this morning I tried to eat soft bread and I started getting a lot of pressure pain on the molar tooth which has begun stage one root canal, it then died down once I took a couple of ibuprofen..... a couple hours later I went to the cafe with my friends and got some soft scoop ice cream and that was fine. I then tried one of my mates chips (only 1) and the pressure instantly returned, I have taken a ibuprofen and paracetamol it has died down abit now but I feel like I’m getting little spasm’s around that area, almost feels like my cheek is swollen even though I know it’s the tooth.. can anyone help at all? My dentist doesn’t open until Monday and I’m sure they won’t be able to do anything until my extraction site on the lower left side (molar next to wisdom tooth) heals properly

Since the root canal hasn’t been finished, it’s my understanding that it can still twinge because it hasn’t been 100% cleaned out. It may also still be irritated, I would avoid eating on that side and you can call and check in with your dentist. Leaving it alone for a day will probably help it settle a bit, let us know how it goes!

Hi Joeb,
Is there a temporary filling in the tooth? It could be that the filling is too high and your bite needs to be adjusted. If the teeth aren’t coming together properly it can cause pain with pressure/biting. I experienced a lot of problems with my bite after having a root canal. I would definitely give the office a call just to check in and make sure things are okay.

Thankyou for your reply’s :) mazey I cant eat on the opposite side of it just yet as I had a tooth extracted on the opposite side haha so I don’t really know what to do apart from saying on a liquid diet? And kitkat the bite is fine just pressure on it when I eat and lay on it.

Hi,

I think your dentist should see you, if only for the discomfort you are experiencing .

Back