• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pulling out a week old extraction scab??

T

Tottle

This sounds stupid. I had 4 teeth pulled 10 days ago. Slowly I’ve adjusted and can kind of eat again but I’m still terrified of getting a dry socket! I keep calling my dentist with questions and they’re gonna get tired of me. Basically the bottom ones have already started closing, I don’t think there’s a scab on them but one of the top ones, with a bone graft, feels like it has a popcorn kernel hanging out of it. I’m afraid to do anything with it but I can feel it. If I brush it and work with it to get it out, am I still at risk for a dry socket?

Hi,

There is no chance of getting a dry socket 10 days after and extraction.

Don't pull out the "popcorn kernal" though. I had that with my bone grafting on an upper extraction. My oral surgeon said it was the collagen plug to hold the bone grafting in place. It eventually went away, but I think it was there for a month or so.

It’s dangling a bit and a tiny piece volunteered itself out today. Both terrifying and stressful lol

Back