• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about the temp cement in my unfinished root canal.

I

italiannyc17

Had a root canal today. I am going away on Monday and wanted to get this done by the guy I trust instead of doing it in another state. Honestly it was quick as hell compared to my last one. He told me I had the root canal just in time because there was hardly any bleeding in the tooth ( what does that even mean btw? ). No calcification. No curved roots. Just 3 canals. No abscess at the root tip. It was just a very deep cavity that has been bothering me on and off that he filled 2 years ago. He was basically done in 20 mins.

The last one I had 2 years ago by him took over an hour. It was abscessed. Calcified. 4 Canals. Curved roots. And that was before I even had the appointment to perm seal it!.. I could not believe he was done so quickly today

He told me he wants to fill it up with the perm filling when I come back with the gutta percha, next monday .. so a little over a week. He put some stuff in the tooth and put a temp that cures by itself. He said its pretty strong. Also, I am on antibiotics now for a week.

Question? A little over a week is alright to wait to finish this right? It should hold? I remember last time I had 3 appointments and it held for 2 weeks no problem. Thanks guys..

I was a little worried about flying for 2 hours with it unfinished but he said that whatever he put in there stops air, who knows. I trust the guy. If not, I'll deal.

Been about 10 hours now. Not really any pain, just sore. Tooth is sore. Pretty sure thats normal. Been taking advil to be safe

Last edited:
Hi I am having a rct re done and I have temp filling in at the moment, my next appointment is at the beginning of May and I am very confident that it will hold, the temp filling I had in this tooth a few weeks ago lasted very well with no signs of wear for 6 weeks also.

Don't worry it should hold fine, mine is coloured pink as it has to come out again for the rest of my work to be continued, have you got a funky coloured temp filling?

Hi I am having a rct re done and I have temp filling in at the moment, my next appointment is at the beginning of May and I am very confident that it will hold, the temp filling I had in this tooth a few weeks ago lasted very well with no signs of wear for 6 weeks also.

Don't worry it should hold fine, mine is coloured pink as it has to come out again for the rest of my work to be continued, have you got a funky coloured temp filling?

Nope, I have some white cement looking thing there. Actually looks pretty nice and somewhat small. My tooth is still sore as hell though. Hope this is normal 24 hours after the RCT. I had one other root canal in the past and felt absolutely nothing after it was done. I have no " pain " , its more like the tooth is sore, feels like pressure and achy.

Took 4 total advil yesterday. Popped two more right now. Not really anything that I would need more then advil for.

Just not use to having any pain after RCT.

Its funny. The first Root canal I had he said I can expect to be sore and have some pain, and I had none. This one he said I should have none and I have alot of soreness lol. Matter of fact, EVERYTHING he has ever done has givin me no pain after, including extraction. ( He said that I would have some pain after, had none)

Hope its normal

Last edited:
Mine was messed about with on Thursday and was a bit sore Friday and a bit yesterday, not as much, today it feels okay not 100% but no bother.

Funny you say about the filling looking smaller, mine does too, I don't mind it. The amalgam one I had in before I started with this re do looked really big with not much tooth, but now it looks very neat and tidy, and as you say smaller.

I had one rct just over a year ago and it was badly infected and had been for some time, the dentist said I would be sore, and nothing, it was perfect and still is. The second rct did have some infection on it, but didn't feel as bad as the first one had before. The second one had played it's own game from being done, that is why it is being re done, so no two are different.

If you think about it your tooth has been messed about with and the nerves removed I suppose they are entitled to rebel a bit.

As long as the pain meds are helping, I would think you will be okay. But if you are worried or the pain gets worse or goes on see your dentist and let them have a look.

Best wishes to you :butterfly:

Back