• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Quick question: laughing gas or oral sedation (Halicon) for RTC?

T

TKB1974

I have my first ever root canal scheduled for Monday (very fearful dental patient here!) and I’ve been offered either laughing gas or oral sedation for the procedure. Sedation is not covered by insurance & the difference between the Halicon vs laughing gas is about $300. Is the Halicon with the extra $300 or should I be okay with the gas? The RTC will be performed using Gentle Wave system (in case anyone has heard of that or it makes a difference- posted a link about it below). Thanks for your help!

Kind of hard for anyone to answer for you, they have their advantages and disadvantages, different folks will have different priorities. Have you read up the articles here on the 2 different modalities? Might help you make up your mind.

Here are the articles mentioned:

Thanks for the information- much appreciated! I guess I was just looking for anyone with personal experience. I guess I’ll just choose the gas & hope for the best.

I have had laughing gas with a root canal, and it was my first ever root canal. I was terrified and the laughing gas completely relaxed me so that it went smoothly. I am not familiar with the oral sedative you mentioned...does it knock you out? I had a mild oral sedative to get a tooth extracted and while it worked, I felt “zoned” the rest of the day. With laughing gas, you feel normal as soon as you are no longer inhaling it. For me, laughing gas put me in a dream-like state. I could “tune in” and focus on what was going on, but I could tune out and feel like I was dreaming also.

Thanks so much for your reply. I think the sedative is a pill you take an hour prior to the procedure. It’s supposed to be conscious sedation, and your supposed to be able to follow directions but not have too much of a memory of the procedure. I think I’ll stick to the gas and see how it goes. I’m pretty petrified but I’m hoping the process goes smoothly. I’m diving into this “going back to the dentist” thing head first. ?

Thanks so much for your reply. I think the sedative is a pill you take an hour prior to the procedure. It’s supposed to be conscious sedation, and your supposed to be able to follow directions but not have too much of a memory of the procedure. I think I’ll stick to the gas and see how it goes. I’m pretty petrified but I’m hoping the process goes smoothly. I’m diving into this “going back to the dentist” thing head first. ?

Just a tip with the gas...make sure you tell them if you can’t feel anything different. There are different titrations and they usually start with a lower one. The first time I had it was with my root canal and the endodontist turned it up fairly high I guess. The next time I had the gas was with an oral surgeon when I had an extraction and I panicked a bit because he came in and asked if I was ready (they put you on the gas first) and I couldn’t even tell that it was on. I told him that and he turned it up a bit and I felt it kick in. Also, make sure to take deep breaths through your nose. If you breathe through your mouth it won’t work since the gas is on a mask over your nose.

Just a tip with the gas...make sure you tell them if you can’t feel anything different. There are different titrations and they usually start with a lower one. The first time I had it was with my root canal and the endodontist turned it up fairly high I guess. The next time I had the gas was with an oral surgeon when I had an extraction and I panicked a bit because he came in and asked if I was ready (they put you on the gas first) and I couldn’t even tell that it was on. I told him that and he turned it up a bit and I felt it kick in. Also, make sure to take deep breaths through your nose. If you breathe through your mouth it won’t work since the gas is on a mask over your nose.

Thank you so much for the information! I’ve never used the gas before & I’m already a basket of nerves (and will probably be even more so on Monday when I get in that chair). This is very good to know. ❤️?

Thank you so much for the information! I’ve never used the gas before & I’m already a basket of nerves (and will probably be even more so on Monday when I get in that chair). This is very good to know. ❤?

It will be much easier than you think with the gas! I was a basket case before mine and afterwards was amazed at how much the gas helped! I have a hard time getting and staying numb also, and with the gas it stayed numb the whole time since I was relaxed.

It will be much easier than you think with the gas! I was a basket case before mine and afterwards was amazed at how much the gas helped! I have a hard time getting and staying numb also, and with the gas it stayed numb the whole time since I was relaxed.
Thank you! You don’t even know how much my mind has been put at ease just reading this. I appreciate you responding & I just keep telling myself, “in less than 24 hours from now, this part will be over with.” I’m so scared, but I need to just keep pushing forward & get it done. Thank you again for your responses- so, so helpful for me. ❤️

Thank you! You don’t even know how much my mind has been put at ease just reading this. I appreciate you responding & I just keep telling myself, “in less than 24 hours from now, this part will be over with.” I’m so scared, but I need to just keep pushing forward & get it done. Thank you again for your responses- so, so helpful for me. ❤
Glad I could help! This forum has been so helpful to me! Let us know how it went!

Back