• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Quick question on root canal before my appt tomorrow

S

sharon

I'm scheduled to have a redo of a root canal, crown lengthening and a temporary crown on #10. That's the plan though he said he may need to extract once it gets inside the tooth if he sees it can't be save.

As far as the redo of the root canal - is this easier or harder to do than the orignal root canal? And how difficult is a crown lengthening? The description sounds terrible!

Sharon

I've never had a re-do of a root canal, but I can't imagine it would be much different from the original.

I did have a crown lengthening once, and it really was no big deal. The procedure itself was painless, but I remember my gums being sore and sensitive for a couple of days after where the lengthening happened.

Good luck tomorrow, you'll be fine!

Hi Sharon,

Like Steve, I've never had a redo of an RCT but also like Steve I have had a crown lengthening. Mine was on #4. As he said, the only discomfort I had was gum soreness that went away in less than a week.

Good luck!!

BH:XXLhug:

It depends on what was used to fill the tooth after the previous root canal. If it was pure gotta percha, it's easier than if it was gutta percha attached to a plastic carrier. Either way, it can be done!

Crown lengthening is nowhere near as bad as it sounds. It's a really quick procedure and you're numb so you won't feel a thing. Good luck with it:)

Update - I made it through my appt with the help of valium :jump:. I actually felt quite relaxed during the visit.

The removal of the old gutta percha was quite easy and went very fast, much quicker than the first time for a root canal. A little problem because it started bleeding and he had to wait for that to stop so that added half an hour. I wasn't even aware of the problem and didn't know until he was done and told me.

I did not need the crown lengthening and am very grateful there was one less procedure to go through. I did have some gum cutting though and am still a little sore from that.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,
Woot!!! Am very happy for you!!!:yayy:
Nice that the dentist didn't tell you that you were bleeding and it was taken care of efficiently!
There may be some people who would prefer to be told, but hey, as long as he knows what he's doing and it's under control, I would rather not know!:grin:

Back