• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Rather worried about my tooth, please help!

K

km2293

Sorry about the long post but any advice would be much appreciated!

So around April time I looked in the mirror and noticed my tooth next to my front tooth was a little different colour to the others but I didn't think much of it. Anyway, through the months to now I can feel it in my mouth if that makes any sense? I know it's there and sometimes it will throb but it's never a pain, more like just throbbing? Irritating and makes me constantly aware.

So I went to the dentist after around 5 years finally! But I didn't mention my tooth and they never said anything of it, I needed a couple of fillings which I had done and a scale and polish and they said that was it for treatment and see you in 6 months. I then got a letter a week later to say my treatment hadn't been completed and could I make an appointment, made the appointment and as it's always so busy I wasn't to be seen for three weeks.

My tooth is definitely grey in colour, doing research I'm convinced I need root canal so after losing sleep one night last week due to the throbbing in my tooth I decided to go for the emergency dentist route. Luckily it was at my dentist and I told him about my tooth and he kept asking me whether I had banged it as a child and I couldn't remember but I was sure it was a normal colour say, last year? He did an x-ray of my teeth and gums and said I had a gum infection and gave me metronizadole to take for 5 days (3 a day) which I have done and the feeling has gone down dramatically but still a bit there and my dentist appointment is on Thursday and I am scared about the next step. I really don't want it extracted because it's next to my front tooth! If it was a back tooth I wouldn't really mind. Will I need root canal and does it hurt? I would ask my dentist but I can't be seen until Thursday and it's driving me insane.

I am panicking that they think nothing is really up with the tooth itself as I've been around 4 times this year (excluding the emergency dentist) and no ones really said anything about the tooth but it is really grey in colour. Thanks guys!

I'm not a dentist and I really do think that only a dentist who looks at the tooth will be able to tell if you need a root canal. However, I can tell you that if you do need one, it should not hurt AT ALL. I've had 4. They've all taken about 90 minutes, but I have not felt any pain.

Best of luck to you and let us know what happens.

Back