• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Retained root extraction..very scared

C

cozzy

Hi all,

Well about 2 weeks ago I had a tooth removed, its in on the top 4th from the front, this is a tooth I had a lot of decay in and had broken, when my dentist tried to remove the tooth it crumbled, after 25mins and several attempts he said it seem like the root was fused to the bone and he would leave the root behind.

I went for a checkup and small filling on another tooth yesterday, I asked him about the retained root as it is quite big, just above the gum line, he said that as more healing occurs and the gum line recedes that the root will become visable or work its way down, when this happens he will remove it.

im very confused as i thought if its fused to the jaw wont it still be hard to get out, will he be able to get to it without a lot of cutting at the gum? im worried about damage to my jaw and what if he still cant get it out, im terrified as it is.

I have had no pain at all from the retained root, also he couldnt say how long it would be till it needs removing.

If it breaks the surface it will be better off being removed, as it's a source of infection.

I very much doubt if it will be difficult to extract after a bit of time has passed, roots are generally much easier to remove than complete teeth.

Back