• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Retained root extraction

S

scouse_julie

I had to go to the dentist on friday to have a retained root extracted before I have a bridge fitted. I lost the tooth eight years ago and have never experienced any pain from the root but my dentist told me that it had to come out before the bridge was fitted over it. The root was in my lower jaw, 3 from the back. He told me that it would be a simple procedure and that he would take it out without having to cut my gum and fit the bridge on the same day.

He gave me two injections and took an x-ray and then started with the extraction. This involved him pushing down very hard on the root to get it to break so that he could lever it out. His hand was clamped under my chin and he was pushing it up against the downward force of the instrument. As he got deeper and deeper I began to feel a sharp pain from the root and my jaw and face started to hurt like I had toothache. I told my dentist this and he gave me 2 more injections. He immediately started the procedure again without waiting for the anaesthetic to work and it was still incredibly painful. Again I told him this and he asked me whether I was actually feeling the pain or whether I was just imagining it. I described the pain to him again and told him that I was definitely feeling it!! He then gave me another 2 injections and again carried straight on with the procedure.

After 45 minutes of prodding and poking he eventually levered out the majority of the root and by this point I was in so much pain I was sobbing in the chair. He said that he hadn't removed all of the root but that the small fragments left wouldn't cause me any problems.

He them told me that he was unable to fit the bridge and that I would have to come back in a week to get it checked first. He gave me a prescription for pain killers and antibiotics and absolutely no after care advice on what I could and couldn't do. I was so upset that I left the surgery and my partner took me straight to the chemist where I handed in the prescription, only to find that it was for Penicillin (which I am allergic to and I have informed the surgery of this in the past) My partner then had to take me back to the surgery and I had to ask the dentist for another prescription.

The following day I woke up to find that my chin and throat are bruised and swollen and so was the inside of my mouth.

I specifically picked my dentist because they advertised that they are particularly good at dealing with phobic patients, and this is on my records. I have now lost all confidence in my dentist but am unable to change surgeries as it is nearly impossible to find one with an open list.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences and if so, do you have any advice as to how I should proceed in the future, as I feel completely let down by my dentist and my confidence is at an all time low!!

I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. Root extraction should be much more straightforward than removing an entire tooth.

Sounds like things got a bit more complicated than the dentist was expecting and things just went to hell from there. It does happen sometimes to the best of us.

Hi, first post...be gentle!! Gordon, I have to go to the dentist tomorrow as my crown has come out - had it about 18mths or so I think, it became loose 6 mths ago and I had it removed, cleaned etc and replaced. When I first had it done I developed an abscess and ended up having a root filling through the crown, but this never really "took" as I've always had a tender bit of upper gum - its an upper right 4th tooth - I have other root treated teeth but never had this problem but understand it can happen as its hard to find all the root canals? Anyway, its out now, a bit tender in upper gum but hardly any inside of the tooth that I can feel - will the dentist probably take it out - will it be harder than a normal extraction as its just the root. I feel paranoid about it as the gap can be seen when I smile but am tired of it all......I have had lots of probs with my teeth and have a slight problem with my jaw where the lower is out of line a bit - gorgeous I know - in a way I dread dentures as I saw both my parents have all their teeth removed as a child etc and its been a massive dread for me - but I also have had 2 extractions upper left 5 + 6 (and all wizzies when younger) and its been mentioned having a partial plate - I dread people being able to tell I've got dentures by me sounding funny when I talk - I talk a lot - rather than the actual dental treatment itself.......sorry about all the q's....... :)

I can only count one question in there so that's OK :)

I keep saying this but nobody seems to believe me. Usually it's much easier to just remove a root than the entire tooth. From what you describe it sounds like there's been a chronic infection going on there, that'll make the extraction even more simple.

Start a new thread with any other questions you come up with rather than resurrecting this old one :)

I beleive you Gordon ;)When i asked you about my 5 root extractions and you gave me taht exact answer I was like, "your nuts" ;D But after it was all said and done, I have much faith in you :XXLhug:

thanks for that - I'll start a new thread..... :hidesbehindsofa:

Back