• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Retained root following difficult extraction.

S

steve271

Hello,

Im looking for some advice please.

I attended my dentist last week for the removal of a premolar. The dentist was unable to remove the root of the tooth which has been left in place. I have been in extreme pain from the trauma of trying to remove the tooth but also from the sensitivity of the root which has been left behind.

My dentist has referred me to the local hospital for oral surgery but I have been told this could take many weeks. I dont feel that I can wait that long and was wondering if there is any way to speed the process up, even if it means going private.

I am just not sure who or where I would need to attend to get the root removed.

Can you help?

Thanks

Glasgow area.

Last edited:
Ask your dentist to give you a letter to take to the Dental Hospital in Sauchiehall St?

Thanks Gordon.

Have you heard of the Albion Dental Clinic in Albion street, Glasgow. Who are they, what are they like?

My dentisit suggested a referral to the above clinic but I am worried since I have never heard anything about them!

ps they used to be called the high street clinic!

Last edited:
Nope, never heard of them. I've not practiced in Glasgow for years though. Mike may know more?

Yeah, I have PM'd him so hopefully he can tell me more.

Been there, had the pain!!! Its not good, feel sorry for you!
My dentist did exactly the same and I was told that I could go private but the chances are they wouldn't be able to get the roots out and it should be done by o s, however, if you take Ibroprofin and cocodamol 4x a day the pain will ease! Trust me it happened to me 4 weeks ago and I felt like I was going to either pass out from not being able to eat or pass out because of the pain!!! But now I only get the occassional twinge, my appointment is on the 29th :sick: which I am freaking out about!!! The other thing you can do is kick up a fuss with your dentist and tell them you are in so much pain you cant eat and the pain killers dont work, they then should phone the hospital and rush it through (they did this for me but unfortunatley I couldn't have it done as I had an infection). If not phone Oral Surgery at your local hospital and explain the situation!!! Good Luck

I am glad your pain has eased and am glad to say that mine has also. If everything goes to plan then I should be without the guilty root by tomorrow evening but no doubt in a bit of pain again! It has been a very unsettling experience but have benefited greatly from the support offered from this forum and in particular Dr Mike. Thanks to you all. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow. Hope everything goes ok on the 29th for you, i'm sure it will!

Back