• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal access

B

Bstasio01

Hello, I’m getting a root canal this week. At my consult the endodontist said some tissue has grown in covering the opening (broken tooth) and he’d have to remove the tissue .. I feel like it’s closed up a bit more since the consult can anyone tell me how this tissue is typically removed? I’m so nervous about this part now

Bstasio01,

Its so easy to be nervous about the unknown and new and well any dental procedures. Endodontist are so specialized and know what they are doing and how to do this , and many make it seem easy and quick even the scariest sounding procedures. I know I was quite scared to have my difficult canal procedure done at a new endodontist and it just ended up being quite boring. I hope this goes easy for you and the endo can put you to ease. How did you feel about him at the consult? did he seem anxious friendly? Thats an important factor..Whens the day? let us know how it goes and keep us up to date. I'll be thinking of you and hope it goes well!

Bstasio01,

Its so easy to be nervous about the unknown and new and well any dental procedures. Endodontist are so specialized and know what they are doing and how to do this , and many make it seem easy and quick even the scariest sounding procedures. I know I was quite scared to have my difficult canal procedure done at a new endodontist and it just ended up being quite boring. I hope this goes easy for you and the endo can put you to ease. How did you feel about him at the consult? did he seem anxious friendly? Thats an important factor..Whens the day? let us know how it goes and keep us up to date. I'll be thinking of you and hope it goes well!
Thank you! Yes not knowing what to expect is the hardest part. The hole feels like it’s closing with gum tissue so I’m nervous he won’t be able to easily access the root canals ? he and his staff were super nervous and assured me i would be asked several times during if I’m doing ok and if I need a break we won’t begin again until I’m ready so that was comforting

It's pretty common to find this with a badly broken down tooth. There are a few ways to deal with it depending on the dentist's preference. None of them are unpleasant for the patient though!

It's pretty common to find this with a badly broken down tooth. There are a few ways to deal with it depending on the dentist's preference. None of them are unpleasant for the patient though!
Thank you for the reassurance, I was worried it would be unpleasant

Thank you! Yes not knowing what to expect is the hardest part. The hole feels like it’s closing with gum tissue so I’m nervous he won’t be able to easily access the root canals ? he and his staff were super nervous and assured me i would be asked several times during if I’m doing ok and if I need a break we won’t begin again until I’m ready so that was comforting
The date is this Thursday! I’m meditating like crazy and trying not to think too much about it otherwise I’ll make myself sick again over it

If they were nervous, how were YOU? :)
Oh goodness I meant to say they were super nice not nervous ooops! Either way it didn’t go well. I arrived to my appointment early (15 mins) so I get my stuff ready.. my AirPods and music and my putty so squeeze in my hand and whatnot. The dentist was ahead of scheduled and wanted to start as soon as I sat down .. I requested a few moments to myself to get myself situated and he got so mad with me and impatient. He refused to give me the time and stood behind me angrily. His office manager of 12 years said he’s been off lately and she apologized she’s never seen him this way. Needless to say I left in tears without a root canal as I felt he broke my trust and I no longer felt comfortable with him working in my mouth ?

I'm so sorry. That had to be terrifying. I would call your insurance and file a grievance.

I would like to commend you. I had a bad dentist who tried to rush when I was in my teens. There are so many better dentists out there! If this was a bad experience, its time to get a new one. Dont give up, call around for a new dentist, and be happy!

Back