• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal - Is it the end of the world?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nofear
  • Start date Start date
N

nofear

Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2009
Messages
24
Location
Alberta, Canada
I have often associated having a root canal similar to my world ending. Are root canals really that bad? How long does a root canal treated tooth last (on molar teeth)? I just can't stand the throught of having a root canal. Terrified. And what age is normal to have a root canal?
 
Hi Nofear,

The subject of your post could have described myself in mid April. I admit to not thinking having an rct was quite the end of the world, just something I had heard horror stories about and was a procedure I wasn't exactly "running" to have performed! I posted about my experience way back when and so many others have too (about theirs). Honestly, having my teeth cleaned bothered me more than the root canal.

My root canal was done in three appointments. This was most likely decided because prior to the second treatment, I had had a very long (and overdue) cleaning first so my jaw and I were tired of being at the dentist's! I think generally this is done in 2 appointments, a week apart.

The dentist will first put a numbing gel (it really works if applied properly and left on long enough) to the gums around the tooth. He/she will wait 3-4 minutes, you should feel some sense of being numb and give you a quick shot of LA. This shot was my biggest fear and the reason my tooth came to need a rct to begin with. (I had put off having it filled for 3 years :o) I didn't feel anything. Honest. From then on, thanks to the utter compassion, gentleness and calm manner (He made sure I knew what he was doing, was not in pain, and was a participant--he was treating me not my tooth :) it was no big deal at all. There were a few brief moments of discomfort with the files. I won't lie. However, it was very minimal. 95% of it was completely pain free. The other 5% was as I said brief and manageable.

As others have said, when it comes down to it, whether your having a regular cleaning, simple filling, root canal, whatever, what matters most is that you feel in control, cared for by your dentist, and again know that he/she has the skill and compassion to see you through. Afterwards, you will be amazed at not only how easy the whole thing was but probably feel [smiley=cloud9.gif] that you did it! Lol, once you've had a rct, [smiley=evil.gif]that is fear, IMO, doesn't stand a dentist chance of truly gripping you again.

Feel free to pm me if you would like. I wish you all the best. You will do wonderfully. :)

Mona
 
No Fear,

You've PM'd me recently because I had rct recently and I have to tell you it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. My dentist did it ALL in one session.....the root canal and the permanent crown and although it was quite the session in "the chair", I only had to be numbed up the one time and was feeling great by day #2. I did a "no more toothache" dance and went to work the next day. I was scared Sh**tless going in but it was pain free as my dentist guaranteed me. I brought my MP3 player and cranked it up with some Nirvana, Collective Soul and Bob Segar to drown out the drill sound...which I HATE.

You'll do just fine my friend......and we are all cheering you on too!

Trish ;D
 
NOOO! they're not bad at all! i promise. i'm 17 and terrified with the thought of the dentist alone. i had root canal about 3 months ago on my front tooth (it became absessed due to an impact injury a few years before that). i think back teeth take slightly longer then front teeth, but i don't think its long. my dentist did it on different days.. the first day he cleaned the tooth out and filled it with medicine (5 minutes), about a week later i went back and got it cleaned out again (about 5 mins!) and then after that i went back to get it filled. it never took long and it certainly was not as bad as i thought it would be... infact it wasnt bad at all! unforunatley for me, root canal failed :/ although my tooth was VERY BADLY absessed ! you can have root canal at any age :)
sorry for ranting on haha. hope i helped a little bit :) good luck.. You will be FINE! :)
 
Been away from this forum for awhile, but had to comment on this. I've had many root canals performed... maybe 13 or so? Of all the procedures I've had done (and I've had almost everything imaginable)...root canals are certainly one of the easiest to get through.

Seriously, give me a root canal any day over an extraction or a crown prep. Usually takes an hour or so, and then you're done. Pain free and completed... with very little drilling involved.

Good luck. Get the root canal...and by all means, the most important advice I give anyone who needs a root canal is this: go to an endodontist to have it performed! They do them all day, every day. Sometimes, roots are crooked. Sometimes, an extra root might not be visualized on a x-ray. Endodontists know how to handle these oddities and have the equipment to ensure the best outcome possible. Your family dentist doesn't.

You want a root canal to be a success? Go to the endodontist.
 
Back
Top