• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal nearly 3 weeks ago and still in pain

T

TryingForMyself

Junior member
Joined
Oct 21, 2025
Messages
4
Location
Washington, USA
I had a root canal nearly 3 weeks ago (19 days to be exact) and I don't know why I'm still experiencing weird pain.
It was done on my bottom premolar. The first few days I had sharp nerve-like shocking pains that eventually subsided. The whole area was really tender and sore to touch and I couldn't floss it for the first 1.5 weeks. I have almost on again off again pain on that side, it's bothersome for hours and then will go away for minutes to hours. The discomfort feels kind of like pressure or a weird ache. I also start to get an earache a lot of times when this ache comes. I've been able to eat soft foods with it without pain (I have a permanent filling and will get a crown eventually) and it doesn't seem sensitive to temperature. I don't know what's going on with it though. It feels like a long time to be in pain and I'm scared to go back to the dentist. Is this normal? I'm taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen and they only help so much.
 
You need to go back to the dentist.
 
Hi @TryingForMyself, it sounds like you're not too keen on going back to your dentist - please feel free to post about it in the Support section if you'd like to talk about it 🤗
 
@letsconnect Yeah, this was my first time getting a root canal and my first work done after 10 years of not going to the dentist. I have no prior experience to what normal healing feels like for a root canal and don't know if I'm overreacting or underreacting, so I was hoping for some help with that. I'll definitely make my way to the support section in general since a lot of the stories on this site were what got me to go back to the dentist in the first place.
 
Back
Top