• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal on front tooth

M

Mayo

After a childhood accident that chipped one of my front teeth (#8), my dentist says I need a root canal. I am only 35 and am terrified the root canal treatment will fail someday and I will lose this tooth. My dentist says that there has been no bone loss but wants to get it done before that happens. I’m extremely anxious as my teeth are otherwise healthy, I have a nice smile, and I can’t imagine having to get this tooth extracted. It would be pretty noticeable given that it’s a front tooth.

What are the chances the root canal tooth could last a lifetime?

Very high. Front teeth are the easiest to root treat, great access, single root canal, good visibility. My front tooth had a root canal going on 45 years now and it's always been fine... it's not even a very good root canal going by the x-rays I've had done on it. One of my dental student mates did it for me :)

After a childhood accident that chipped one of my front teeth (#8), my dentist says I need a root canal. I am only 35 and am terrified the root canal treatment will fail someday and I will lose this tooth. My dentist says that there has been no bone loss but wants to get it done before that happens. I’m extremely anxious as my teeth are otherwise healthy, I have a nice smile, and I can’t imagine having to get this tooth extracted. It would be pretty noticeable given that it’s a front tooth.

What are the chances the root canal tooth could last a lifetime?

My father had a root canal on his front tooth at age 10, after he broke part of it in a fall. He had a crown put on after the root canal. That was 60 years ago! He has never even had to have the crown redone, and eats whatever he wants.

Thank you both. That helps ease my fears a little.

Top teeth are cake (easy) for dentists to get numb in general, and local anesthesia is incredibly safe. Today dentists and more so patients enjoy a vast array of local antestetic choices. Not only are today’s drugs safer than they have ever been, but they can reliably provide extremely profound anesthesia to the tooth. Most likely the actual procedure will hurt about as much as getting a haircut or filing a fingernail.

Also with only one canal, it should be fairly quick vs doing a lot of canals.

What I am saying is I don’t think your experience will be nearly as unpleasant as you may be thinking, and I suspect the long-term prognosis is better than you think.

Thank you Netwizz! It’s helpful to know that the front teeth are the easiest. I think I’m prepared to deal with some temporary pain and discomfort. Much of my anxiety seems to be that I’ll eventually have to have it extracted. I’ll get an implant of course but that’s a long and expensive process that I’m not looking forward to. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that!

Thank you Netwizz! It’s helpful to know that the front teeth are the easiest. I think I’m prepared to deal with some temporary pain and discomfort. Much of my anxiety seems to be that I’ll eventually have to have it extracted. I’ll get an implant of course but that’s a long and expensive process that I’m not looking forward to. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that!

Relax. You are likely decades away from needing an implant. My one recommendation is to go to an actual endodontist for a root canal because dentistry of all types is a practice, and the endodontist might well do as many as six root canals a day and the median years of practice may well be twenty (20). They have the very best specialty tools, are versed in the best tech use, and simply are going to have the highest success rate.

In contrast your general dentist spends all day doing fillings, crowns, and other similar restorative dentistry, so when it comes to crowning a root canaled tooth, your general dentist probably has the most experience...

A good root canal very well can last a lifetime if properly cared for. Do keep in mind crowns can decay around the margins, so it is still crucial to practice great oral hygiene... to make the tooth last a lifetime.

I have had a root canal on a molar 17 years ago and all is well, never failed and I don‘t think it will..

Mayo,

You have gotten great advice already, but coming from someone who has had their fair share of root canals . mostly by general dentists and one by an endodontist, wanted to encourage you. First off. even if you go to a regular dentist they do have ALOT better technology nowadays. I've only needed 2 retreats in 30 years and have had quite a few I hate to say, one of the root canals is one that was done 30 years ago and I think he did a rush job. he missed a canal. but hey it did last 30 years. I had another but its because the crown on it wasn't done right and It affected it somehow. don't remember the exact explanation. but. I had an endodontist redo it and it was a very easy procedure painfree during and after no issues . Endos are usually quite a bit more expensive , weigh your options., if you can't afford an endo. there are some general dentists with more experience that others at root canals. ask about how many they do and experience. Also your comfort level with them helps. I also very much agree that front canals are easier than back!!

I hope all goes well for you, definately keep us up to date. Root canals can help save you time and teeth for years so to me they have been a lifesaver!! and many others.

That’s really comforting, thank you. I go in for it tomorrow and I’ve definitely been feeling more anxious lately. It doesn’t help that I keep hearing root canals can cause diabetes and other chronic diseases.

It doesn’t help that I keep hearing root canals can cause diabetes and other chronic diseases.

Humbug - there have been several threads on this topic on this forum (e.g. here: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/threads/re-root-canal-or-extract.25235/page-2#post-187326 ). Here's a good source of information: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/sbm-weston-prices-appalling-legacy/

Recently, there was a Netflix documentary based on the same premise, but Netflix had to eat humble pie and withdraw it, seeing how there is absolutely no scientific evidence for this theory. So no need to worry on that front :).

All the best for tomorrow :grouphug:!!

Yes, that Netflix documentary! I never saw it myself but that’s what people keep referencing to me. Thanks for those links, I’ll check them out!

It went well. The entire process was painless. I will be receiving a new crown in 2-3 weeks and in the meantime have a temporary. One thing I did notice, as I’m starting to be able to feel my mouth again, the bite seems a little off. Is that something that might settle down with time or should I reach out sooner than later to get that resolved?

Mayo ,

Glad it went well! sometimes you can't tell the bite rightaway when you are there and numb , maybe give a day or a few if it still seems off definately go and get it adjusted. Its a quick fix.

Congratulations Mayo :you-rock: !

I would reach out sooner, adjusting a temporary crown so the bite isn't too high should be a quick fix.

Thank you. I’m so grateful I stumbled onto this website. It’s truly helped a lot.

Glad I found this thread. Dreading having a root canal done next week. Thank you everyone for your stories. I know this is a bit of an old thread but it's helped calm me a lot.

Back