• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal Timeline Question

S

Stever16

Hoping someone can ease my anxiety about my situation! I thought I had a run of the mill sinus infection about 5 days ago. My head, eyes, ears, and sinuses all hurt pretty badly. I was prescribed Augmentin with a tele health appointment with a Urgent Care. I took Sudafed, Tylenol, Ibuprofen to help with the pain/discomfort.

I began to notice that it hurt when I touched one of my teeth and began having intense anxiety that this was a tooth issue and not a sinus infection. This happened on a Friday of course, but I was able to get in to see an emergency dentist.

He took some 3D X Rays and tapped around a bit in my mouth. He said that Tooth number 3 and 28 need root canal therapy. He didn't say why; but he wasn't comfortable treating it or starting the treatment. He referred me to an Endodontist and gave me a few pain pills to help if needed.

So I wanted to verify with my regular dentist that this is correct and I am able to get in today to see my regular dentist. I was also able to schedule Endodontist for Wednesday, two days from now to take a look at the teeth and start the root canal on one of the teeth that day.

I have a few questions I guess. I am terrified of losing these two teeth. I had several years where I didn't take care of my teeth and the last I was told by my dentist in October I was cavity free and just needed to stick to cleanings 2X yearly. I've already had 2 teeth pulled and am looking at two implants and a sinus lift. If I lose one or both of these new teeth, I would probably need a partial denture and that scares me and causes me to have massive panic attacks.

The emergency dentist scared the crap out of me by telling me about All On Four and I am not even to a point where I would even consider something like that.

1. Should I be worried that my regular dentist missed these two teeth in October? Could the issues have popped up after my cleaning/exam/x-rays? Both teeth have cavities filled by him on them as well. He's worked with me to complete a few root canals and LOTS of fillings over the last few years to help me save my teeth. I really like him and he is so gentle and accommodating to my anxiety.

2. Should I let my regular dentist do these root canals if he feels comfortable completing them or should I let the Endodontist treat them on Wednesday?

I am afraid if I wait too long to treat the teeth they will have to be pulled. I do not think I could handle losing anymore teeth. I changed my diet completely, I brush and floss twice a day, I did several deep cleanings, and now I thought I was back on a regular dental schedule of 2 cleanings a year and meeting with an implant dentist.

3. How much time do I have to act before the infection spreads and I would need an extraction?

4. I am also worried I will offend my dentist if I go in there today so he can take a look and if he wants to make an appointment for a root canal when he has openings and I say that I prefer to go to the Endodontist.

So many thoughts running through my head on top of my intense dental anxiety. Any insight or advice would be so apreciated!

1) Hard to say if there was a problem back in October, if the teeth are heavily filled then they could easily have died off since then and gone to abscesses
2) Sure IF they need doing and IF they feel comfortable doing them
3) Plenty assuming that the pain isn't too bad
4) You won't offend them. I hated to do root canals, happy for some other sucker to do them instead. Most dentists feel the same :)

Stever16,

Sorry you are going through all this. Dental pain is so exhausting physically then add anxiety to it and its just a really hard mix. I want to commend you though as it seems as anxious as you are , you are on it taking care of yourself , making appts. and getting things done. ( not running the other way ) You are facing it head on.. as hard as it is. I So get the "if I lose any more teeth fear. That is hard.. I think you are really wise going to check out an endodontist and can say personally I've done root canals both with my dentist/ different ones at different times and they've come out just fine mostly. and one with an endodontist. that was a seemless experience. He was a top and kind endo would definately go back,. hope yours will be kind if you choose that way. They have had the special training. I do know my old dentist always recommeneded endos and would say the same thing Gordon said. he wasn't offended at all and was happy for the endo to do it. at the same time. if someone is really comfortable with their own dentist and confident and at peace with them doing it.. that may be the best option too. Its whatever you are most comfortable at peace with. Whatever you do.. I really wish the best for you and that you find the right answer for your situation.

Back