• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal Woes - pain AGAIN 18 months after 2nd treatment

T

taryn237

I had a root canal on my upper left molar all the way in the back in early 2010. It was a horrible experience. The dentist couldn't get my tooth numb and she was digging out the nerves while I felt everything. I had tears streaming down my face. It was worse than the pain of childbirth.

In the summer of 2011 that tooth started to have pain again. There was no way I was going back to the first dentist so I went to an endodontist. My insurance didn't cover the re treatment and we had to pay the $1400 out of pocket.

A few weeks ago I started having pain again. I thought it was the tooth next to it but after pressing on my teeth today I realized it is the root canal tooth.

I called the endodontist office and the secretary gave me the run around saying that they don't guarantee anything and that I would probably have to pay for re treatment. I am going on Tues to talk to the dentist. I am *hoping* that since it has only been 18 months he will agree to just fix the tooth but I had problems dealing with their office and my insurance the first time and I doubt he will do it. The office staff is really rude and he seems like he just wants to make as much money as possible. :(

So my choices will be: go to a different dentist for a third root canal (can't go back to the endodontist because our insurance changed - not like I would anyway) or have the tooth pulled. Would there really be a problem getting the very back tooth pulled? What are the chances my teeth would shift? I'm scared of having to get another root canal.

Statistically the chances of a 3rd root canal working are pretty low. Speak to the endodontist first and see if they're prepared to stand behind their work first.

Back