• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Runny Nose(Sinus Drainage) after Root Canal... is that common/normal!?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter randomuser375
  • Start date Start date
R

randomuser375

Former Member
So my girlfriend had to get a root canal on one of her back, left, upper molar a couple of days ago. She had the first phase done and after she went home, she noticed that she could smell/taste something that the dentist may have used for the treatment(sodium hypcholorite). She also noticed that when she would lean forward or even when she's not, she would get some watery substance(almost brown in color) drain from just one of her nostrils. The drainage isn't constant, but intermittent. She has no real pain, headaches, or anything. Just the sinus drainage.

So she called the dentist and he said that the sinus drainage could happen because the rear upper molar is so close to the sinus cavity. He prescribed her some anti-biotics and said it would be ok.

So what I want to know is... is this COMMON/Normal??? I scoured the internet and couldn't find real concrete answers, just a bunch of horror stories. I'm worried for her... and for myself because I too am planning to get a root canal done on one of my upper left rear molars. :(
 
So my girlfriend had to get a root canal on one of her back, left, upper molar a couple of days ago. She had the first phase done and after she went home, she noticed that she could smell/taste something that the dentist may have used for the treatment(sodium hypcholorite). She also noticed that when she would lean forward or even when she's not, she would get some watery substance(almost brown in color) drain from just one of her nostrils. The drainage isn't constant, but intermittent. She has no real pain, headaches, or anything. Just the sinus drainage.

So she called the dentist and he said that the sinus drainage could happen because the rear upper molar is so close to the sinus cavity. He prescribed her some anti-biotics and said it would be ok.

So what I want to know is... is this COMMON/Normal??? I scoured the internet and couldn't find real concrete answers, just a bunch of horror stories. I'm worried for her... and for myself because I too am planning to get a root canal done on one of my upper left rear molars. :(

I had the exact same thing happen two weeks ago, and it worried me too! I had a root canal done on my top right molar, the very last tooth in the back. While he was putting the medicine into the root canals I suddenly had this horrible burning pain in my nasal cavity and suddenly could taste the medicine dripping down my throat. It was really upsetting. He quickly sat me up in the chair and said it would quickly pass, and he gave me another shot for the pain...the taste and the pain did stop but when I came home I had a dripping nose and a bit of a sore throat. I still have to complete the root canal, he only filled it and next comes the crown...I really hope I never have to experience anything like that again...it was really awful!

So, to answer your question it can happen because the roots are so close to the sinuses. I'm sorry your girlfriend experienced it...and I am sorry I did too! ;)
 
I had the exact same thing happen two weeks ago, and it worried me too! I had a root canal done on my top right molar, the very last tooth in the back. While he was putting the medicine into the root canals I suddenly had this horrible burning pain in my nasal cavity and suddenly could taste the medicine dripping down my throat. It was really upsetting. He quickly sat me up in the chair and said it would quickly pass, and he gave me another shot for the pain...the taste and the pain did stop but when I came home I had a dripping nose and a bit of a sore throat. I still have to complete the root canal, he only filled it and next comes the crown...I really hope I never have to experience anything like that again...it was really awful!

So, to answer your question it can happen because the roots are so close to the sinuses. I'm sorry your girlfriend experienced it...and I am sorry I did too! ;)

Hi, did the drainage ever go way? It happened to me and I would like to know if I should check with the dentist or just wait. Many thanks.
 
I had this same situation occur - same tooth location even. My drainage lasted for just over a week (every time I bent forward or over) before finally stopping. Luckily I have a buddy who is a periodontist, and after explaining what was going on, he said as long as you couldn't smell anything like rotting meat, you are probably OK (he was worried about necrosis). I also happened to have a scheduled ENT appointment during this time, and spoke to him as well about it. He scoped my nostril and sinus and said he couldn't see any issue. Both the ENT doctor and my periodontist buddy said it is possible for a sinus cavity to wrap around the roots of a molar in some cases, so it is possible for root canal work on upper molars to lead to a situation like this. My ENT told me to lavage and keep my sinuses clean. All is well at this point.
 
Back
Top