• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

second appointment

W

willow

I have my second dental appointment tomorrow, and I'm starting to freak out a bit.  :scared:  This appointment is for bitewing x-rays, a cleaning, and my treatment plan.  At my first appointment the hardest thing was just opening my mouth for the dentist.  He and the dental assistant were kind to me, though, and it was a positive experience in the end.  Tomorrow I'll have to open my mouth for the hygienist.  :censored:  I've never had a cleaning before, and I suppose I'm afraid of being scolded or treated like a child.  Fear of the unknown is a factor too!  I'm hoping that the anticipation will be worse than the actual experience, as it was with the first appointment.  

Hi Willow :) I wanted to wish you good luck for tomarrow. I have a cleaning scheduled for May 2nd and I am freaking out already. (Haven't had one in years, and never seen this hygentist) I tell myself it's just a cleaning, but as dental phobics, we can't help but worry about the unknown.

I am sending you good thoughts and a cyber hug :XXLhug:

T

All the best for tomorrow from me, too :)! If you've never had a cleaning before, you might be in for a bit of a treat, the "before" and "after" can be quite dramatic ;) (speaking from experience here). Make sure the hygienist knows how worried you are about being scolded or hurt, this will give her/him the chance to make it a good experience for you :).

Thanks for the well-wishes, freakout and lets! I'm back from my appointment, and it wasn't bad at all. Whew! :) They hygienist was extremely kind, and she kept checking to make sure I felt all right. She even said I was "brave." Ha! The bitewings were a breeze; I can't believe I was so afraid of them at my previous appointment. :redface: The cleaning wasn't what I'd call pleasant, but it didn't hurt either. There was no scolding whatsoever, and she even praised me on my brushing and flossing habits. Thankfully my gums are in pretty good shape. And those nasty tea stains behind my lower front teeth are all gone now!

I've got my next appointment in two weeks to start on my fillings. Lots of fillings! It will take several visits to do all of them. Then I'll need some extractions, and after that I'll start looking into orthodontic options.

Thanks again for all the support!

Glad to hear that things went OK for you :)! Hopefully you'll feel a little less nervous about the fillings now.

Well done! :party:

Good luck for your next appointment - let us know how it goes :).

Glad to hear your cleaning went well, when you go to have your fillings done you may find it helpful to take a cd walkman with you and a relaxation cd. I find this helps drown out the noise of the drill and helps me relax.

Back