• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Semi urgent help needed

N

Neb1006

Hi all, I had a wisdom tooth filled today, it came through broken with a sharp point on it, my dentist flattened it out and filled it and "re made it"
it all went fine from what she made out, only problem was I got home and after the anaesthetic wore off I was in the worst pain I have ever been in.
is that normal after having a wisdom tooth filled? It radiated up one side of my face and accross that side of my mouth.
i also have been feeling it to see where the pain comes from but I couldn't find anything, it does feel however as though there isn't a filling there at all, from the sound of what she said she was doing it should be like a normal tooth but I can't feel anything there?
I have taken paracetomol "didn't help much" naproxen "didn't touch it" and co-codomol to try and ease the pain, I didn't take the co-codomol long ago so I can't say how that has affected it.
unfortunitly by the time the pain came my dentist was closed.
i rang 111 they passed me to 1113 dental helpline, they suggested co-codomol and if it's the same tomorrow to ring back for an arguent appointment.
is this supposed to happen?
Please help I need some friendly advice.
thanks, Ben.

Hi Ben,
Sorry to hear you're in pain.

You say you can't feel anything on the tooth, do you think the filling has come out?

I'd let the co - codamol kick in and take it regularly, then as directed call 1113 back for an appt if no better, best get it checked out.

Hope the pain subsides.

Hi Ben,
Sorry to hear you're in pain.

You say you can't feel anything on the tooth, do you think the filling has come out?

I'd let the co - codamol kick in and take it regularly, then as directed call 1113 back for an appt if no better, best get it checked out.

Hope the pain subsides.

Hi Colin, yes that's what I fear about it all. I have run my tongue over the area and it feels kind of rough, but has the taste of like raw flesh, or when you cut the inside of your mouth. I can't be use that the filling has come out as I can't really see the tooth to check.
the co-codomol seems to have kicked in, and has reduced the pain significantly, but it is still there and semi sore.
it unfortunitly looks like I'm going to have to get this emergency appointment, I didn't want it to have to come to that.

The main thing ATM is the pain subsiding which is great. It will be a bit sore I expect, just as long as the pain is minimal and you can get some sleep.
See how it is in the morning, maybe you can see the dentist on Monday re the filling.

The main thing ATM is the pain subsiding which is great. It will be a bit sore I expect, just as long as the pain is minimal and you can get some sleep.
See how it is in the morning, maybe you can see the dentist on Monday re the filling.

Im hoping I can get at least some sleep, the pain is still there, but it's bare able at the moment.
im scares it'll come back again which would mean needing an emergency appointment to have something done.
i will defiantly see how it is come morning, hopefully it's better by then.

I managed to get some sleep last night, and woke up feeling quite a lot better, I still have pain in my tooth on and off but it's soooo much better.
ive been steeling the tooth and looking at it a bit today, it doesn't look like a tooth at all, the back is raised up and the front somewhat flat with a point to it.
it also kind of tastes like it's fleshy, which makes me wonder if the filling fell out but the packing stuff is still in there.

That's good news, keep the pain relief topped up and definitely see your dentist on Monday.

That's good news, keep the pain relief topped up and definitely see your dentist on Monday.

Hello Colin, I am tapping back to you today, because I have been to the dentist.
she basicly told me it could be one of two things, one it could be my gums aren't used to the deep clean as I haven't had one in years.
or it could just be that the filling hasent quite set yet.

Well done for getting it checked out.

Could be both things together.

I'd agree with both points (not being an expert) but that makes perfect sense. Just give things time to settle, give it a week or two. Luke warm salt water rinses may help.

I know after I had tartar scraped from my teeth and fillings they felt sensitive for some time.