• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Severely phobic pregnant lady needs advice, please?

T

Tiggy2610

I'm just looking for some friendly advice (or probably someone to confirm what I already know...!)

I've been severely phobic of dentists for about 10 years, and joined this site about 18 months ago when I needed an extraction and found it really helpful, so I'm back.

Last extraction was horrific, far back molar on bottom left needed removing due to cracked filling. X-Ray failed to pick up my two very curly roots which prevented a straight forward extraction. Needless to say after 90mins of trying dentist gave up and I still have 2 retained roots remaining (have been seen by hospital, they're happy to leave them...)

I have one remaining filling that is around 15 years old and around 4 months ago two small parts chipped away. Dentist checked and said it was OK but the filling would need replacing, I was 8 weeks pregnant at the time so he said it could wait until after baby was born. I'm now 25 weeks pregnant and no further damage has been done to the tooth but it's becoming a bit tender. No toothache, I can still eat on it and it shows no sensitivity but there is one small part of the tooth that is sensitive when direct pressure is applied. I keep it clean. Avoid eating on that side etc...but am wondering if I need to go back to the dentist for another opinion on the tooth? Currently my sleepless nights are caused by thinking I'm going to have to go through an extraction again with this one, which I don't think I can physically do. Luckily my dentist does offer sedation for nervous patients, but this isn't an option while I'm pregnant.

Should I

a) keep an eye on it and keep my next appointment in Jan, 4 weeks before baby is born and follow it up then?
b) go back to the dentist and hope and pray he doesn't tell me it needs removing there and then?

Help :cry:

Hi go back to the dentist now, they may be able to coast it along until you have had your baby. There might be something they can do until you can have sedation. I would like to bet that isn't the answer you wanted but as you said maybe it just confirms what you know already, SORRY :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: :butterfly:

Back