• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should crown feel this way?

G

Gertrude

Hi,
I got a crown (back molar) a few days ago, and despite numerous drilling because I said the crown felt high, it still feels high. It actually feels like a rock in my mouth. I also have a little piece of white gum flap that I’m hoping will fall off? The tooth is also sandy, which is making me go nuts with my sensory issues. I don’t know if it just takes awhile to get used to a new crown or if something is actually wrong. And I almost think I would rather deal with a sandy, high tooth than go back to the dentist. I had my last dentist for over 10 years, and while I was still nervous, I generally trusted him. I moved last year, so this is a new dentist, and I’m really struggling with this. Sorry for the rambling- is this something I will get used to or does it seem like I have an actual problem with the crown?
Thank you!

Sounds like you need the crown adjusted some more. When you say it feels sandy, you mean like it's rough to your tongue?

Yes, it feels rough. I had an implant and crowns years ago (hit by a golf club- so my dental anxiety is from obvious source), and while they feel smooth, this one feels rough.

Then it needs polished at least, fairly simple and painless to do, you need to go back I'm afraid.

What are the consequences of a sandy crown?

Becomes a tongue magnet and is really annoying :)

Could a unsmoothed rough filling lead to recurrent decay or fracture?

Not really, no.

Back