• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I be put to sleep? Tooth extraction

  • Thread starter Thread starter thanksforthehelp
  • Start date Start date
T

thanksforthehelp

Junior member
Joined
Sep 18, 2026
Messages
6
Location
Staten Island
Hello to whoever is reading this, I have to schedule a tooth extraction soon and I am wondering how to go about it. I am very afraid of the dentist, surgery or anything else I would consider “invasive” or an “invasive procedure”.

The tooth I need extracted is the one to the right of my front two bottom teeth and I have been told that it is a “dead tooth” from repeatedly coming in contact with my top teeth from misalignment that would’ve been solved if I kept wearing my Invisalign. oops. But repeated trauma caused it to die essentially.

I also have periodontal disease which isn’t great but I heard it can make extractions easier being that gum could soften, etc.

My question is should I be put to sleep? I am very afraid of the procedure, but if it’s a quick thing I feel as though it would make more sense to just get laughing gas or whatever because I’m also afraid of being put under.

I have been put under before twice for wisdom tooth extractions but like I said, if I can just get it over with quick that would be better even if I’m awake.

But what do you think? The tooth is dead, it’s a small front tooth and my gums aren’t the best.. will it come out easy? Is there a chance that they will need to take it out in pieces?

I saw another post that said teeth can be taken out in 10 seconds, so if that’s the case maybe it’s worth it to just not be asleep? IDK.

I also am planning on getting a flipper but my dad suggests I get bone put in also in case I want an implant at some point.

Is that something I shouldn’t be awake for? Where do they get the bone? Do I NEED to have that done?

I appreciate whoever is reading this and any advice would be truly beneficial to me. Thank you.
 
Perhaps “gingivitis” was a better word. IDK if there’s a difference but ik my gums are not good.
 
Hi, I opted for gas for my extractions and they were large molars. Put the nitrous on then numbed with injection. She came in and 10 seconds later it was done.

I had IV for full upper 11 teeth with immediate denture which was a bit different. IV sedation is quite expensive even with insurance.

I would do the gas, but it’s entirely up to you. It being a small dead tooth helps a lot. I wouldn’t be nervous about cracking or breaking if the dentist has done this many times before. It should be quick.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.
 
@GinaBambina

Thank you for the insight! Did you feel aware of what was going on at all after you did the gas? ( Injection, removal, etc. ) Does it make you feel disoriented or “high”? I guess I’m curious what the feeling is cause I’ve only been put to sleep for extractions thus far, so idk what it’s like to potentially go through it “aware”. Any distraction methods could help too, I wonder what people do to not focus on the fact that a tooth is being removed beyond the aid of just being sedated. IDK if you’re even aware/coherent though after getting the gas so it could be anything. Thanks again.
 
I’ve gotten gas a lot in my life(61)
I usually wear headphones and turn it up. When they give it to me I make sure to breathe deep through my nose because you lose its effects when talking.

I then have a good trip. Ha. If I think it needs to be turned up I tell them to raise it. When it’s over they turn it down and straight oxygen is being breathed in.

So my answer is you don’t usually give a hoot what they are doing to you under nitrous, but if spoke to or tapped on the shoulder you are aware enough to answer but don’t really care.

After you are fully alert and no gas the. I’m fine to walk out and leave. No high feeling and I drive myself home.

That being said everyone is different so I can’t say how it would be for you. This is just my experience.

You got this. It will be quick and over before you know it. My mom(89) just had a front tooth pulled on top without gas but she’s a tough cookie.
 
@GinaBambina

I appreciate your insight very much and will be back with an update, might not be for a month or so but likely soon. I know that these things are always bigger in my head and will just be simple and a relief to have done but anxiety isn't reasonable so! LOL Hoping for the best. My wisdom teeth came out amazing years ago and I had no pain whatsoever or swelling so I assume this will be even more of a piece of cake in comparison. Thanks again. : )
 
Hi! I've gotten several teeth pulled at various times, all of them with only local. Nitrous is very rarely used in my country and I could not have afforded sedation back when I really would have wanted it. It's not one of my preferred dental procedures, to be frank, but it's never been horrible, just various levels of scary and uncomfortable. My last two extractions in the past year, though, were super quick and easy. One of them was a premolar instead of molar like all the rest and it came out in under 5 seconds. I didn't have time to even think about freaking out, lol. It was also a dead tooth due to having had root canal treatment many years ago, but my understanding is that premolars and front teeth are easier to extract in general because they have less of a complicated root structure.

I think you might be fine without sedation. If the dentist knows what they're doing, this should be very quick and painless (aside from the shots, of course, but at that spot they shouldn't be too bad). If you have nitrous available, that may be a good intermediate option so you're not so nervous.
 
I'm wondering if you had your tooth extracted yet. If it's a tooth near the front of your mouth, I think it will come out quicker than the molars in the back. I have had eighteen teeth extracted so far and I have noticed that the teeth in the front come out quicker. My dentist gave me Triazolam with is a sedative. It didn't knock me out. It just made me feel calmer. I wish you the best in your dental struggle.
 
@Sweet Tooth

I haven’t yet.. admittedly still scared. I need to get it done though. I am just a very anxious person.

Thank you for the well wishes!
 
@Vaidile

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it very much. I am hoping to get this done soon but I am still very nervous whenever I think about it and like to push it off. The tooth doesn't hurt so I minimize the importance of getting it taken out in my head but I know I shouldn’t do that. I wish it would just fall out 😭
 
Back
Top