• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I get a root canal while sick?

K

Kns

I have an appointment Thursday for a root canal on an upper premolar. Since this weekend I have come down with a bad cold with a sore throat, congestion and cough. I don’t want to cancel because I am already super anxious about the procedure and that will prolong my anxiety. And it took me well over a month to get this appointment and the cancellation fees are high. But I’m worried about coughing during the procedure and more importantly worried that it might not be healthy to undergo a root canal while sick? I’m not sure whether it’s a cold or the flu (the flu has been going around here for awhile but I don’t have a fever). Advice? Is it safe to continue with the root canal?

I am not a dentist but there is no way I would want to spend an hour or more with my mouth open while I was struggling to breathe and trying not to cough. You probably feel bad enough without that!

I rescheduled the second part of a root canal last year under similar circumstances. I rang in the day before to explain, I wasn’t charged a fee, and the receptionist said it was the best option for both me and the endodontist. I know in my regular surgery they only charge a fee if a cancellation is on the day, and they are sympathetic in terms of applying the charge - eg, if someone is usually a good attender and is ill, has a sick child, or an emergency and it’s a one-off, they won’t charge.

I hope you feel better soon!

I would probably call today and just explain the situation and see what they recommend. With something like this, hopefully they wouldn't charge a cancellation fee, since you are doing the responsible thing.

Let us know what they say! I hope you feel better quickly!

Back