• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I save this loose tooth?

A

Ari

Hi,

I have half of a decaying tooth (one of my upper-back teeth). The other half already cracked and "got away." The half that's currently there recently became loose. It doesn't hurt but it's really annoying that I can't chew because it wiggles around too much.

So I was wondering if I should keep that tooth in there for as long as I can and make a dentist appointment so I can try to save that tooth. Or should I just pull it off and get a fake one? Like I said, it's already decaying so I don't even know if it's worth saving.

Would it be cheaper to try to save this 1/2 tooth and get dental work done so that it's a whole tooth? Or shoud I just pull this darn thing off and get a fake tooth to replace it?

That's difficult to say without seeing the tooth and an xray. It sounds like there's quite a bit of damage present, and that loose portion sounds worrisome. Sometimes these still can be salvageable and sometimes they need to be yarded out, but it really needs to be examined so go in and find out which route is best.

Hello,
I think you should make an appointment with a dentist to see if the tooth is worth saving or not, you know? Cost wise:

If they can save it: $$$ for a root canal treatment + $$$ for any post, pins, and Crown.

Have it extracted: $$ for extraction + the false tooth(a bridge maybe)

I'm no dentist, and even a dentist wouldnt be able to say without seeing. What I would say though is, get yourself an appointment asap and stop touching the tooth. You would never forgive yourself if you loosened it even more or even pulled it out and then found that it was saveable. Dentists are miracle workers these days and will do their utmost to save a tooth wherever possible. Let them make that decision for you. Look forward to hearing back from you when you've had an appointment, to let us know how it went and what you will be having done. IN the meantime, there are loads of us here, wishing you all the best.

Back