• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should tops of immediate partial teeth be sharp? And other extraction questions

O

ohmeohmy

Should tops of immediate partial teeth be sharp? And other extraction questions

I just got some of my top
teeth pulled on Saturday and got an immediate partial. My gums are still pretty sore and I'm wondering if it might be from the denture? The tops of the fake teeth are sharp and they go into the extraction hole,I think they may have irritated my gums. Is that the normal shape or should they be rounded?

Also how do you tell normal irritation/pain from an infection or other issue? My gums are still swollen and sore but they aren't hot or particularly red, and there's no bad taste or oozing. I can't really see the clots inside the extraction site though, is that OK? It is just dark red inside. I do have pain still that is distracting but doesn't really seem bad enough to be dry socket and goes away with advil or sometimes if I just lie down.

I got this all done a free clinic event so they didn't really give me any instructions at all and I don't have a normal dentist. Should I try to find someone tomorrow and get this looked at or does it sound OK? Have never really had any work done on my teeth [thus the extractions] so I really have no clue.
Also another question sorry- I cannot actually bite down when I wear this thing. The wire clasps touch the teeth below them, but my other teeth cannot touch. Can they fix that by adjusting the wires or am I stuck with that?​

Re: Should tops of immediate partial teeth be sharp? And other extraction questions

The sharp edges shouldn't be that sharp, round them off a bit with an emery board (carefully). The sockets sound normal.

The bite problem is a bit of a tough one, it's hard to comment without looking at it.

Back