• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So my dentist wants me to take Clindamycin before my extraction, what should I know?

L

luckyman316

I've read some horrible stories about this drug and some of the things it has caused. His reason was because of the type of bacteria present causing the infection but I'm a little skeptical. I asked if he can switch me to Amoxicillin and he said it won't really help. I've never taken this drug before but a lot of what I read scares me. So I want to hear anyone else's experience with this. Thanks!

hi luckyman316, may I ask what you have read? Sounds there are particular things you are worried about.

hi luckyman316, may I ask what you have read? Sounds there are particular things you are worried about.

I read that it can cause C. Diff and can be quite fatal for some, and that symptoms can last for months even after a quick course of this antibiotic.

I read that it can cause C. Diff and can be quite fatal for some, and that symptoms can last for months even after a quick course of this antibiotic.
This is very rare. I was given Clindamycin for a persistent dental infection that would not go away after a root canal and multiple rounds of antibiotics. My doctor (not endodontist who prescribed the clindamycin) wanted to monitor me because the risk of c.diff is higher when you were taking a lot of antibiotics prior. My doctor even agreed that it was needed, though.
It is a very aggressive antibiotic. Have you been given amoxicillin already? My endodontist said she always starts with amoxicillin since it is a broad spectrum antibiotic, then gives clindamycin if it doesn’t work, but that unless the infection is pretty severe, amoxicillin usually works.
My experience was that my doctor told me to take probiotics once a day during and for a month after taking the clindamycin. You have to take them two hours before or after the antibiotic so I would take my probiotic two hours after my first dose every day. I did have a few reactions, like mouth sores, and stomach upset a bit, but it did not last long after the antibiotics.

This is very rare. I was given Clindamycin for a persistent dental infection that would not go away after a root canal and multiple rounds of antibiotics. My doctor (not endodontist who prescribed the clindamycin) wanted to monitor me because the risk of c.diff is higher when you were taking a lot of antibiotics prior. My doctor even agreed that it was needed, though.
It is a very aggressive antibiotic. Have you been given amoxicillin already? My endodontist said she always starts with amoxicillin since it is a broad spectrum antibiotic, then gives clindamycin if it doesn’t work, but that unless the infection is pretty severe, amoxicillin usually works.
My experience was that my doctor told me to take probiotics once a day during and for a month after taking the clindamycin. You have to take them two hours before or after the antibiotic so I would take my probiotic two hours after my first dose every day. I did have a few reactions, like mouth sores, and stomach upset a bit, but it did not last long after the antibiotics.

I have not been given anything yet. I've just been told to take the Clindamycin a day before the extraction and an hour before it too the following day. So it does not sound like it's long term for me, at least I hope not. I was told because it was an anerobic bacteria associated with failed root canals, this is the preferred therapeutic. I did openly admit that some dentists won't even prescribe anything with a draining infection like I have.

I took it shortly, it didnt agree with me. It’s been awhile so I dont remember all the issues but I do know you need to stay out of the sun. It felt like my skin was on fire where ever the sunlight hit it. The same thing happened with my son in law who took it

I took it shortly, it didnt agree with me. It’s been awhile so I dont remember all the issues but I do know you need to stay out of the sun. It felt like my skin was on fire where ever the sunlight hit it. The same thing happened with my son in law who took it

Thanks for the warning. I'm hoping I'm not on it pas the day and a half. I'm still leery about taking it too because I just went through some nasty GI issues for 2 months that have since resolved, and I'm afraid this could bring it back.

the real question is why take any antibiotics?
With the exception of a very small percentage of the population there is little need to take antibiotics for all dental surgeries except bone grafts and implant placement. Antibiotics are appropriate for facial swelling, infections that are not localized, but in general not very useful and they come with their own problems.

the real question is why take any antibiotics?
With the exception of a very small percentage of the population there is little need to take antibiotics for all dental surgeries except bone grafts and implant placement. Antibiotics are appropriate for facial swelling, infections that are not localized, but in general not very useful and they come with their own problems.

Here is what I was told by the dentist:

The reason for clindamycin has to do with the bacteria present w/ the type of tooth infection you have. Although amoxicillin is helpful it is generally not prescribed for anerobic bacteria associated with failed root canals. I would be glad to speak with your physician to fully explain. As an aside, some dental clinicians don’t prescribe anything since the tooth is being removed and infection is draining; however with regard to myself and my experience with tooth removal in conjunction with bone grafting and future implant placement, current trends show taking the antibiotic would be beneficial to eradicate all bacterial contamination that could be present even after the tooth is removed; And clindamycin is the preferred therapeutic.

Luckyman316,

Could you ask your GA for a second opinion. If you have a good relationship with them it might be useful to see what they think of this , they might know you better than your dentist with your whole health situation and give you a rounded answer? I really hope you can come to a solution that gives you the most peace and help! :grouphug:

Thank you all for the support and advice here. So far so good taking this today

Back