• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

somebody please help me!!!!!!!!!!

O

oucho

Hi i am new on here i wish i had found it earlier, i am 34 and i have only been to dentist when i was 13 that was it! i am sooooooooooo scared well scared isnt a good enough word, i am petrified i need a dentists a good one who will understand i have a phobia and because my teeth are sooooooo bad seriously they are like matey out of the pogues, i am only 34 women not 90 yr old but i have this other issue i have just found out i am pregnant but i cannot suffer all this pain anymore, we are so pleased we are pregnant we have been trying for so long, i really need some help i am in north yorkshire btw, please someone i feel like it controls my life i cant eat i cant laugh i cant smile i never drink alcohol in case my teeth hurt and i will need to overdose on painkillers xx :redface: :redface: :redface:

I know a great dentist who works in Leeds Dental Hospital. She is fantastic. Her name is Cath Potter- if you are still looking for help I could put you in touch with her. let me know.
regards
Mike

its crunch time but i just cant!

hi, i came on here last yr just as i found i was expecting our 4th child i was in agony with toothache had some good advise but sad to say i still havent been to the dentists! my teeth are that bad that i only had 4 left at the front and the rest are broken ones throughout my entire mouth when in labour i bit down on the gas and air mouthpiece and broke 2 of the remaing 4 clean off to the gum! now the other 2 are on there way too, i am just so petrified i dont know where to start, how to go about things please someone tell me! i ned to do it for myself to get my cofidence back i rarely speak i dont go out in public anymore i am so depressed about it all, i want to go and get things done but i cant if that makes sense, i am scared of going and afterwards and the result of dentures at 35, blood needlesw drills and the embarrasement of my medevil style mouth! i cant eat anymore my life has stopped, if it wasnt for my kids i would kill myself #
sorry rant over, thanks for listening

north yorks x

Re: its crunch time but i just cant!

hi, Instead of thinking about the negatives of going to the dentist, try replacing those thoughts with the positives ones. If you see needles as a cause of pain, instead of thinking of pain tell yourself that the needle=painless dentistry.

hi, i came on here last yr just as i found i was expecting our 4th child i was in agony with toothache had some good advise but sad to say i still havent been to the dentists! my teeth are that bad that i only had 4 left at the front and the rest are broken ones throughout my entire mouth when in labour i bit down on the gas and air mouthpiece and broke 2 of the remaing 4 clean off to the gum! now the other 2 are on there way too, i am just so petrified i dont know where to start, how to go about things please someone tell me! i ned to do it for myself to get my cofidence back i rarely speak i dont go out in public anymore i am so depressed about it all, i want to go and get things done but i cant if that makes sense, i am scared of going and afterwards and the result of dentures at 35, blood needlesw drills and the embarrasement of my medevil style mouth! i cant eat anymore my life has stopped, if it wasnt for my kids i would kill myself #
sorry rant over, thanks for listening

north yorks x

Hey girl! :)

I promise you that everyone on this board UNDERSTANDS and KNOWS what you are going through. Going to the dentist is nothing!! You can even do a one on one consultation with a dentist where you just talk, he/she doesn't even look in your mouth! It really helps you get on the right track. I promise you that dentists have seen and dealt with far worse cases. You should't be embarrassed, or have any shame whatsoever..

As for the pain? This is 2009. You have the choice now of multiple forms of sedation if you like. Don't let fear keep you from smiling!! I can honestly say, it's not as bad as you think. In fact, it's not bad at all! It was exciting for me the first appointment I made...(of course, I was SO SCARED haha) but afterwards I felt SO GOOD. I felt like finally, I'm on the right track.

Keep reading some posts on here, and reading success stories. They're what helped me overcome my fear, and I guarantee they'll help you too!

:XXLhug: Good Luck!

It really won't be as bad as you think, oucho! I stayed away from dentists for years....going only when I was in terrible pain and couldn't stand it anymore. I had teeth broken off, teeth falling out, infection on and off over the years until I finally did something about it. It got to the point where I could barely eat because of the tooth decay and missing teeth. Just over one month ago, I did something about it. I knew ten years ago that I had to get dentures, and after a long consultation with my dentist, I finally did it after getting the 16 teeth taken out under oral sedation. I was scared to death right up until I went in for the big appointment. But it was nothing at all like I had feared....there was NO PAIN, oucho. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I can finally eat normally....and SMILE again! I really hope you are able to find a really good dentist for a consultation and to get your dental work taken care of. You'll feel sooooo much better about yourself once you face that fear... :hug2:

nosmokin2

thanks for your replies! i am on the web now looking for a good dentists wheter or not i actually make it there is another thing!! i am so terrified its stupid!

OUCHO.....communicate your fears to the dentists' staff when you start making calls. They will not laugh at you. A great dentist team will be understanding and will do everything they can to make sure you're comfortable while you're going thru treatment. Best of luck!

nosmokin2

Hi, Oucho. I'm glad you finally posted. That's a big step in itself. And yay for looking up dentists! :jump:

Nosmokin' was right on the money. I've been there, too, and I'm now sporting a brand new set of teeth. :)

No more toothaches, no more cleanings, no more fillings, no more root canals, and best of all - I can smile!

Think about all the benefits of having a healthy mouth again! Don't let the fear get in the way any longer. You have kids to take care of and to do the job right, you have to be healthy and able to smile. I was just as terrified, and had put things off too long, only to find it was just like Nosmokin' said. It was so much easier than I'd imagined.

Your next step is to find the right dentist for you. You're a consumer shopping for a service, so take your time and select a dentist who you feel comfortable with. It makes a huge difference in your treatment. Do you have anyone that can make "the call" for you? It used to be so hard for me to just call and make an appointment, even though I had a family dentist.

Good thoughts to you, and I hope you can get things sorted out soon. There are many of us here that will help in any way we can.

:grouphug:

thanks for your replies! i am on the web now looking for a good dentists wheter or not i actually make it there is another thing!! i am so terrified its stupid!

Nobody here will ever call you stupid for being afraid. It's a smart woman who looks beyond the fear and realizes what needs to be done. You've received some great advice. Just know that you're not in any of this alone.

I think all of us here know how scared you are. Just take baby steps. Do one thing at a time. Find a dentist, then phone/email them and tell them what's happening, then you can think about maybe going in for a chat - not an exam, a chat.

No one is going to make you do anything that you don't want to, no one is going to think badly of you, laugh at you or hurt you.

And everyone here has either been through it or is going through it and will help you out.

Good luck!