• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

SOS: Severe throbbing pain 7 days after wisdom teeth removal. Is this normal? I need help.

B

Berry34

SOS: Severe throbbing pain 7 days after wisdom teeth removal. Is this normal? I need help.

I am 20 years old and I got my wisdom teeth removed on Monday morning (7 days ago). The first day was okay, I had the normal pain from removal and everything. But since about day 3 or 4 I’ve developed a severe throbbing pain that takes place in the back side of my jaw all the way up to the bottom of my ears. I have done everything by the book, followed every rule. Somethings the pain relievers will help enough that I think I can eat solid food but halfway into the meal I’m in so much pain I can barely even open my mouth wide enough to take another bite. I got my wisdom teeth removed while I was home and have returned back to school (2 1/2 hours away) to start working tomorrow. It would be a pain to drive clear home for an appointment if there’s nothing the doctor can do to help me. So if anyone has any ideas of what to do or what could be wrong I’d really appreciate it. The pain wakes me up multiple times a night and keeps me awake. So I’m getting desperate here.

P.S. I got my wisdom teeth removed “early”, the roots hadn’t even formed yet. Which is supposed to be the fastest healing and least painful way to do it. I don’t feel like this much pain after is normal?

That does not sound at all normal. I know it will be difficult to get back to the dentist, but there should be something s/he can do to help.

Re: SOS: Severe throbbing pain 7 days after wisdom teeth removal. Is this normal? I need help.

That does not sound at all normal. I know it will be difficult to get back to the dentist, but there should be something s/he can do to help.

Do you have any idea what might be causing the pain? I can’t really see into the holes so I can’t tell if it’s dry sockets or not. I have an identical twin who had the exact same procedure as me and she is still in just as much pain as me. We both are really unlucky when it comes to procedures though. A mix of Tylenol and my prescription Ibuprofen helps sometimes but not every time and not nearly for the full 4-6 hours it’s supposed to work/you’re supposed to wait to take again.

I appreciate your advise

I’m not a dentist so I don’t know. But that amount of pain 7 days out is definitely not normal. It could be dry socket. It could be an infection. It could be something else entirely. It’s really best to see a dentist.

Re: SOS: Severe throbbing pain 7 days after wisdom teeth removal. Is this normal? I need help.

Could you call your dentist and ask them what they suggest you to do considering your situation? Could you see another dentist closer to your school/work?

I had 4 of my wisdom teeth removed last week and pain was insane day 4-5-6. My OS said that ppl who grind teeth at night are at a higher risk of pain like that. I started using cbd oil and it really helped

Back